TS-1910 PTO Speed Control Question

/ TS-1910 PTO Speed Control Question #1  

palouse

Tractor
Iseki TS1910
My eBay-bought, photocopied owner's manual states that the TS-1910 PTO speed control has two speeds, 540 and 1000 rpm. The diagram shows four positions, in an "H" pattern. Every online reference I have read says the TS1910 has a two-speed PTO.

My TS1910 has a four-position PTO control, "H" pattern", with positions numbered "1" through "4".

What do the 4 PTO speed control positions actually control? How is it supposed to be used? What are the speeds at each position, and how are they matched to range and gear selection. My owner's manual has no reference.

I use a Woods RM60 finish mower, and I seem to be relatively safe using position "3". Guessing, I am not running much beyond 540 rpm. Positions "1" or "2" do not give enough speed to drive the blades. The RM60 manual says to use "540 rpm". I don't like "guessing" wrt power equipment. I am mowing with the tractor in "M(edium)" range, 3rd gear, generally. The RM60 spindles do not seem to get hot, but it is its own Rube Goldberg-arrangement of PTO drive, pulleys and (expensive) belt, which I don't want to stress.

/ TS-1910 PTO Speed Control Question #2  
The Bolens version of your tractor came with 540 and 1000 rpm settings. The Japenese version came with the four you have. If it were me, I'd get a reflective tape tachometer (inexpensive off Amazon or Harborfreight) and check each setting then you'll know for sure. The engine speed should be around 2600 rpm when checking the "rated" speed. Of course to get 540 PTO rpm you might need it in, say 3rd PTO at 2000 engine rpm.

/ TS-1910 PTO Speed Control Question
Yikes. I did not even know about photo-based tachs. My manual is for a Bolens, not a TS1910; makes sense, Iseki drawings with Bolens specs. So, why is 2600 rpm the 'magic number'; peak torque at 2600? Again, no references in the BOLENS owner's manual.

Oh, by the way, how do you fix the tach/speedo? ( :duh: ) Seems that the cable connector at the "fuel-pump-thingy" is not fully seated or worn out. (I assume that the fuel pump is driven from a gear that also drives the speedo/tach.)

I think I need a shop manual...

Seriously, thanks for your help. The photo-tach would solve my immediate concern on the PTO. Although, how I get the reading may be difficult as I would need to be in gear and underway to get the PTO to turn. (Do I instead trust my jack stands?) Harbor Freight does not seem to have one, Amazon is $15-$20.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20713A-...18&sr=8-5&keywords=reflective+tape+tachometer

/ TS-1910 PTO Speed Control Question #4  
I'm not sure on your exact engine, but the Isuzu 2AB1 (you have an Isuzu 2AA1 I believe) has maximum power at 2600 rpm which is what your implement uses in the end. Your engine may actually be a bit higher for peak power, maybe 2700 rpm. These engines have pretty flat torque curves which is desirable in a tractor so they're not as meaningful as the power rating at a certain rpm. On a side note, I've noticed a lot of engine manufacturers are stating torque values instead of power. Just remember that it's power that represents how fast a given amount of work can be done, not torque alone. Diesel engines are notorious for high torque, but not necessarily high power compared to gasoline engines. They *seem* to have a lot of "power" because of the torque available. Enough on that though...

I haven't messed with the tach on my Iseki TS2220F so I'm not familiar with them.

Your PTO should turn with the transmission in neutral. Just put the PTO in one of the gears, the transmission in neutral, let out the clutch and check the speed of the PTO. It would be nice to know the speed of the engine too while you're checking the PTO speed. You might be able to put some reflective tape on the engine pulley and check that too but that one may be a bit harder to access.

Last edited:
   / TS-1910 PTO Speed Control Question #5  
I have a TS1610 with the same four position PTO. Someone replaced the decal that list #1-#4 on mine with decal that does not have the postions correct.

Back in 2005 when I ask about this in an earlier post one response was "I have an original decal on my TS1610. 1st is down and in, 4th is down and out, 3rd is up an in, and 2nd is up and out."

So I have been going by that response and judging by sound with my rotary cutter. I keep the rpms low on the cutter.

The OP Manual says

PTO shaft speed (rpm)

Position...TS1610...TS1910
1 ................547........548

I think there is a mark on the tachometer that corresponds to these PTO speeds.