Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder

/ Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder #1  

johneic

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3038e, Bolens-Iseki G174 2 Cylinder (early), Kubota B7200E 2WD belly mower
Iseki muffler 005.JPGIseki muffler 006.JPGIseki muffler 007.JPGIseki muffler 001.JPG

Muffler is leaking, I thought I would just take it apart and weld a crack. Its a bit more complicated so I wanted to ask the group about repair/replacement. In searching around this muffler is very expensive if it can be found.

I am open to any idea, I heard of one idea of making two stacks that go straight up.

My pictures show the back of the muffler has completely rusted off, the second problem is a PO has wrapped sheet metal around the rear 3/4ths and held it in place with two large hose clamps, I am pointing out the rear hose clamp (where I would just like to weld on the back).

I assume I cannot just fix the back as I will have leaks where the sheet metal is.

I have more time than money, I am not a good fabricator/welder.

I need to keep this running for the winter as this tractor is my only way to blade my long driveway.

John

/ Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder
Bolens G174 021.JPG

Here is the way I bought it the way the PO repaired (Fixed?) it. I might add its a great little tractor, everything works (except the temp. light), looks tired but starts easy and pulls strong.

/ Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder #3  
You might want to hit up Leonard Sheaffer (sheaftractor@grics.net) and see if he has any good but used ones around. Pricing might not be as cheap as you'd like but it would save you some time. I don't really like how Bolens/Iseki built those mufflers. It's hard to find a manifold for the 2-cylinder tractors to install a normal muffler on them. Keep in mind Satoh tractors used the same engines so those manifolds would work also.

/ Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder #4  
I repaired a muffler recently by wrapping a sheet of metal completely around the old one. Allow a half inch of overhang at each end so you can pop rivett into the sidewall of the end plates. (i.e. the bit you are holding in pic 2.). Also pop rivett along the length of the join. Use plenty of black silicone before and after to fill any gaps. Then paint the whole thing black. This sounds rough but it actually looks pretty neat if done well. As long as the guts of the muffler are OK and the end plates are sound you will wind up with a pretty solid result.

Last edited:
I like your idea alchemysa and pop rivetting is within my ability, Thanks! However I did find one 40 minutes from me for $150.00 used at West Kentucky Tractor, he says its in good condition, (Shaeffer's wants $200.00 plus shipping).

It dawns on me that I will need a gasket/gasket material, what would be recommended for that? I assume a new gasket is not available.

I posted too fast, Valley Power can get me the gaskets and I just ordered them.

Going to start soaking and resoaking the bolts for many days, I will run it up to operating temp before I soak them.

/ Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder #7  
Back in March 2011 I posted with pictures fabricating a new exhaust manifold and mounting a modern vertical tractor muffler on a TX 1500 2 cylinder. You can also find it by doing a search exhaust manifold suntreemcanic.

Thanks Suntree, I am going to get the used one, if it does not check out I may contact you about fabricating the flanges for me.

The seller said they would "check it over" to make sure it good but I thought I should also check it, all I can think of is to put a straight edge on the flanges and look it over for cracks, anything else I can do to check while in the sellers shop?

Should I take it to a machine shop to have the flanges decked? (I think thats what its called) I suppose it could be magnafluxed. Unless its a stupid idea I was just going to bolt it up and hope it works.

/ Anyone repair a muffler, any model, but this is a TX1500 2 cylinder #9  
Unless there are obvious signs of damage/abuse I doubt you'll have a problem with it. I'd bolt it up as-is.

Received a call from the junkyard today, the one he had is no good but he says he has a good exhaust manifold that will bolt up with his used removable/replaceable muffler for the same price. I am interested what creature this manifold came off of and will share here if I can find out from him. Thought I would document the procedure for here too as this is a big job for me and maybe somebody else too... stay tuned...