Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed

/ Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed #1  

miramichiguy

Tractor
Iseki TS1910
Is the magnetic block heater too good to be true? If it is, then where is the plug on the Iseki 1910 that you remove to install the block heater? What about the coolant heater that fits in-line with a radiator hose (not a lot of room under the hood for these)? Let me know your opinions.
P.S. will be picking up my 51" blower in the A.M. Storm coming on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed #2  
I can't help you with the plug location for a block heater, but here is my opinion on the magnetic block heaters. I wouldn't buy one. They are intended to heat the oil in the crankcase, but the oil doesn't circulate through the engine, so the heat can be very localized. I have even heard some folks say that it can degrade the oil from the localized heat.

A block heater that goes in a freeze plug hole is the best. It gets the heat right where it needs to be. The ones for lower radiator hoses are also good, and generally easier to install. Both heat the coolant, which then can circulate through the engine to warm the entire engine.

I have one that threads into the side of the block on my YM1301D, and it works great. I plug it in about an hour before I need to use the tractor, and it starts like it was 70deg out.

/ Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed #3  
The absolute best heater is a box heater. The only problem is they take more space than the others. They circulate the water through the engine. No matter how cold it is, the engine will be warm anywhere you touch it.

/ Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed #4  
Lower rad hose heater works great, starts like it is warm out.

The mag ones certainly have a place too. Anyone who has had to drain fluid out of a broken down piece of equipment in the middle of winter will tell you that! I just don't think they are a block heater replacement.

Ken

/ Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed #5  
magnetic ones are suppose to cut off at set temp about 130 or so well below normal operating temp. the most it would do to the oil is boil off water.. It also will heat the entire engine up it works good the heat generated rises up thru the engine thru the return passes and heats the eninge.. equal to water jacket in my opinion would heat the bottom of pistons cylinder walls etc.. of course that's a min of 4 hours prior to running. i've run one and it's easy to install and cheap ~20 buck at tsc

/ Block heaters for TS 1910 Magnetic vs installed #6  
I'd use a water heater. Preferred --Freeze plug or 2nd choice--hose heater. Here in nortern Illinois, it takes 15-30 minutes for the engine to be warmed up.