Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought?

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #1  

johneic

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3038e, Bolens-Iseki G174 2 Cylinder (early), Kubota B7200E 2WD belly mower
I suppose this can be welded?

Attachments

• tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 005.JPG
    tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 005.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 486
  • tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 004.JPG
    tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 004.JPG
    671.2 KB · Views: 721
  • tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 003.JPG
    tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 003.JPG
    697.6 KB · Views: 575
  • tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 002.JPG
    tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 002.JPG
    667.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 001.JPG
    tRAILER N TRACTOR WHEEL 001.JPG
    689 KB · Views: 974
   / Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #2  
Are all those pics of one wheel?

I think it needs to be replaced. Looks like a complicated area to cut and weld in the flange area where the bead needs to be set.

Others might have other ideas.

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought?
Yes, all pics are one wheel, big rust holes on each side, Its for my Iseki, I fear Iseki rims will be harder to find.

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #5  
I would consider saving the center of the wheel and cutting all the rim off; then welding your hub into what ever cheap wheel you can find. At least then you know hub size and bolt pattern will match.

I tried to read the tire size; but couldn't make it out. If it's a 16" then just well your center to whatever cheap steel truck rim you can find on side or the road or at scrap yard.

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #6  
I didnt notice you posted this in the iseki forum. Yah, it could be hard to find a new replacement.

If not welding your center to another wheel, you might be able to mod another wheel to match your center.

Ive seen posts of guys repairing rusted wheels with various techniques including welding and epoxy reinforced patches, but I dont think it was in the flange area. But you certainly could try it. You can drill a whole in another spot for the valve stem and probably use a tube.

Last edited:
   / Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #7  
From my experience the 8-16, 6-bolt pattern rear rims are a common size across Japenese tractors. I've even taken 18" rears from what I believe to have been a Yanmar and put them on my Isekis. I have not, however, ran across new rear rims but the link above could very well be some and salvage yards should have rears pretty available. The less common rims are the fronts due to the unique bolt diameter among the various manufacturers, but I do believe Kubota rims (5-12) someone said work - see post from NHMitch regarding this. I would avoid that signficant of a repair and opt for a replacement.

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #8  
Those rims are too far gone to try patching with welding due to the contours around the bead sealing areas. Best bet is to find a rim of the correct size and modify it to fit your tractor. Another way would be to remove your center hub and weld it to a new(er) rim of the same size. A bit more complicated but easily done.
There are lots of Iseki tractors around and very likely some salvageable rims available and much cheaper than weld repairing one.

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought?
Hi Guys, I still need help, I can not find this rim in new or used, I want all of you to tell me about the "get any old 16 inch rim" options. My holes are 2.25 inches apart (57.5mm) from one bolt hole straight across to another is 4.75" (120.5mm), center to center. I have a 3" & 9/16ths pilot hole (91mm).

All of the new rims I have found have 4+ inch pilot holes, I suppose I could live with that if the bolt pattern was right?

Please, free thinking here, no bad ideas, I need to get this up and running. (Its finally rained here and more rain is coming(more grass growing)).

I have a removable "hub" of sorts that attaches to the axle with a common pin, so it would be easy for me to remove the "hub" that the wheel bolts to from the axle and have a welder do his magic. I have a small ($90.00, 110volt) welder but would not trust myself to do the job.

Its late now, will take pics tomorrow if needed.

/ Rear rim rusted out badly, can it be fixed? can one be bought? #10  
Contact Leonard Sheaffor (www.japenesetractorparts.com). He's got a lot of rims - might not be a cheap as you'd like but he's got them.

The pilot hole is critical to the longevity of the rim so I would avoid getting one with a larger pilot, even though it might get you by for a while.