Broken Tie Rod End.

/ Broken Tie Rod End. #1  

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
Has anyone ever broken a tie rod end? I just did and it's the inner. It only has the threads sticking out the top. It broke on the bottom about 3/8" up in the mounting hole? How in the world do you guys get the treaded piece out? Does it screw in? Press in? I've been beating on it with a chisel and it wont budge either up or down..Or is this thing threaded? Iseki TA 247 Land leader. :( Thanks.

/ Broken Tie Rod End. #2  
I looked at AGCO parts ( AGCO Parts Books enter as "guest") on the Massey 1240 and 1250 ( figured they were probably the closest models to the TA247. Looks like the tie rod is only threaded for the nut. Can you grab the threads with a pipe wrench and break it loose?

If it is threaded into the knuckle, I'd either weld a nut onto it or tighten 2 nuts against each other and turn the bolt portion out.

My last option would be to drill it out.

/ Broken Tie Rod End. #3  
Can you post a pic.
Tie rod ends are usually tapered to go up into the matching tapered mounting hole then a nut with cotter pin holds the nut. If that's what broke, remove the cotter pin and nut and drive it out.

/ Broken Tie Rod End.
I was able to pop off the outer one with a puller. It is tapered. Prior to the puller I tried all the internet quick fixes like the 2 hammer version. The problem is that it's an inner and very tight to the motor. No way to really drive it out. I did snake a 2' piece of re-bar down in front of the motor but I just cant get enough hammer to it. So, I decided to pull the whole plate off that holds both inners and the main nut on the steering box. Now I'm faced with a 41mm nut that wont budge either. ( no wrenches that big ). Can't get a pipe wrench in there and a Vise grip lacks in snort. I've had a lot of stuff red hot under there and can't get the big nut loose. I'll buy a big wrench tomorrow and try to get that whole steering plate off. After heating up the stub and beating it with the re-bar and BFH, It's bent a little and will need to be cut off before it will come out now..Sucks for sure. Glad I'm not an Iseki mechanic. ( wanna buy it? ) :)

/ Broken Tie Rod End.
Only option was to tear the whole front end off and remove the power steering pump. After that, No problem. many many hours later. The Dynamo is back in action and no longer for sale.. many thanks to the help on here and the dealer who is closest who sells AGCO parts. He had my ISEKI tie rod ends in Stock.. Whow... How often does that happen??

/ Broken Tie Rod End. #6  
Good deal. Funny how the smallest problems can cause so much work! It's always a good feeling to get a problem fixed and behind you.

/ Broken Tie Rod End.
All fix'd all new parts. The tractor turns so sharp I'm surprised I don't break tie rod ends all the time. Every time I have a problem with this rig it's for sale. Once it's fix'd I'd never give her up. :)

/ Broken Tie Rod End. #8  
This is the correct tool to easily remove a tie rod end. It's commonly called a pickle fork. You insert it between the two parts, wack it on the end and it separates the two pieces.

Performance Tool Tie-Rod Separator, Model# W1204P | Specialty Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment
9094004_700x700.jpg