Glow Plug Questions TS1610

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #1  

rich_ncal

Gold Member
Tractor
TS1610
I am having trouble starting my TS1610. It was starting and running fine, but I have not started the tractor for a couple of months until recently trying. I suspect a problem with the glow plugs, but it could be the cold weather or something else.

What is the correct voltage on the glow plugs on a TS1610 when starting the engine? Should these be at 12volts or a lower voltage due resistance in the line from the key switch? What is the resistance of the glow plugs? I am measuring no voltage on the glow plugs with the key in the start position.

I would also like to find a schematic showing the detail of the lines to the glow plugs.

Thanks
Rich

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #2  
First, are you pre-heating them by turning and holding the start switch to the left? If so, the resistor in the hole on the left should glow. If not, follow the instructions below to test them.

To test them:

There should be 12 volts to the glow plugs only when you turn the start switch to the left to preheat the glowplugs. No voltage is applied when just the key is turned on. You need to test them individually by removing them and using a volt meter to test for resistance between the body of the plug and the terminal on the end. Resistance should be around 1.7k ohms. Test the voltage by using a meter between ground and the wire connected to them while the start switch is turned to the left. They aren't hard to change or find and are relatively inexpensive. I just did a complete injector overhaul and glow plug replacement as a winter downtime project. All told it was a little over a $125 for the rebuild and brand new glow plugs($12 each). Works like new!

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #3  
I just replaced a set of glow plugs on a TS1610F. I would like to add to the previous post that after removing the wire and bus bar to the glow plugs, you can simply check for continuity from the glow plug tip to ground. I am not certain, but I think the 1.7K Ohms reading is too high for these glow plugs. So if you have 12 volts with the key turned to the left and you have continuity for each individual glow plug, then it is fine. I had a lot of trouble finding these glow plugs for other than $50 each at the tractor dealers (tried Napa, Carquest, diesel shops, etc), but I did ultimately find them for $10. If you need new glow plugs, email me, and I will forward the information to you.

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #4  
I stand corrected. The glow plugs should ohm out to around 1.7 ohms. I misread my meter. Anyway, you don't want an open circuit between the tip of the plug and the terminal. The complete testing procedure is in the service manual if you really want to do it step by step by the book. I recommend getting one.

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #5  
am i ever glad i read this! i checked the voltage to my glow plugs on my ts 2200 today & got nothing! turns out the control resistor is melted in two.i checked both glow plugs & both measure 1.8 ohms.any ideas where i might find something i could use? already e-mailed rainbow dist. but will probably take several weeks to get.also,i be much obliged to find out where these injectors & glowplugs can be found,thanks in advance,revg62

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610
Thank for the replies to my glow plug question. This helped. I measured about 10 volts on the glow plugs.

Today the temperature here is about 60F. Also last night I charged the tractor's battery. This afternoon tractor started on the first try. Either due to the battery charge or the warmer weather the starter was turning over the engine faster today. I ran the glow plugs for about 30 seconds before starting.

Thanks
Rich

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #7  
Revg62, Try these /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Rick

Attachments

• 360905-glow plugs.jpg
    360905-glow plugs.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 546
   / Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #8  
NGK.com has Y104 which is the number for Isuzu 2aa1 engines. I crossed their number to Bosch/Zexel at a local diesel shop here (don't have the number readily availabe at the moment).

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #9  
thanks rjb & blenderman,good to know there are people like you that have been down that road & are willing to help.i do appreciate it! revg62

/ Glow Plug Questions TS1610 #10  
I have an isuzu 2AA1 in a Bobcat 533 ('81 model) skid loader. Had the same starting problem and found the resister burned out. Part was readly available from the local Bobcat dealer. This engine was used in several Bobcat models so Bobcat is a possible source for parts.
John Wallace
Bobcat 533