Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #1  

Rich1954

Tractor
Iseki
Hello.

I acquired an Iseki tractor when I bought a new house. I'm not sure what model it is and I don't know much about it besides starting it up and using it to cut grass with the attached 3-point hitch mower and using the frontend loader to move a shipment of wood pellets to the storage shed. It's been running great. I will need some help identifying what it is later and will post some pictures of it then(if I'm able to), but if it helps with the answer to my below question all I know about it right now is from the ID plate I found in the right footwell on the transmission tunnel---TL12EF-01283. I know it's 4 wheel drive and has an Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel engine.

I have a small leak, maybe 7 or 8 drips while cutting grass in about an hour, from a hydraulic coupler going to the frontend loader. I plan on changing all hydraulic lines/couplers to the frontend loader this winter. The drips are yellow in color. The dipstick for the hydraulic reservoir shows the yellow color too. I need to add some fluid. What type of hydraulic fluid is yellow(I thought all hydraulic fluid was red in color) and who makes it---can you suggest a brand? Can I mix red hydraulic fluid with yellow?

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #2  
When in Doubt.. Drain it out. Never have seen red hydro fluid. I buy the universal fluid and it's fairly clear.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #3  
Kubota's use "clear" ,clear in as impossible to see on the dip stick.JD offers a red dye to put in theirs.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #4  
red is a common dye in ATF, and other things like hytran.

you seen amber and green

if it's opaque yellow.. it could have water entrained in it. ( emulsion )

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors.
Thanks for the replies everybody. As neglected as the whole tractor is, and from your responses, it sounds like I have the universal hydraulic fluid that is suppose to be clear but is actually dirty and a little contaminated with water to give it the yellowish tint I'm seeing(like the opaque yellow Soundguy is referring to). Yeah nybirdman, it's difficult to see on the dipstick---it sorta blends into the color of the rod.

I am planning to replace the hoses this winter so it also sounds like a drain and refill will be part of that plan. Thanks again.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #6  
When in Doubt.. Drain it out. Never have seen red hydro fluid. I buy the universal fluid and it's fairly clear.

I changed the fluid in my new Kitot at 50hrs. It was light yellow. The new UTF I put in is clear and hard to read. I need to find some dye so I can see it on the dipstick. Also leaks will be more apparent.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #7  
I guess it is a matter of perception but Tractor Supply UTF sure looks pale yellow to me. Sort of like beer.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors.
I picked up some Traveller Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid yesterday from my local Tractor Supply store and yes Jimbrown, it looks pale yellow like a light beer or maybe a real pale honey color. So, I topped off my reservoir and everything is working fine. Thanks again for all the responses.

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #9  
Just a quick question. Why are you going to replace all your hoses? are they bad or leaking? I have hoses on some of my equitment that are close to 40 years old and they still don't leak

/ Hydraulic fluid color is yellow?---new to tractors. #10  
Yanmar hydraulic fluid comes red in the tractors and buckets from the dealer.