Modifying my 18148 48 inch snowblower to fit my H1502. Finally got one!

/ Modifying my 18148 48 inch snowblower to fit my H1502. Finally got one! #1  

amanda11270

Silver Member
Tractor
Bolens Iseki H1502
So I drove 496 miles one way yesterday, then 525 miles back (dont ask) the same day to pick up this absolutely monsterous snowblower. I about fell over when I first pulled up and saw it sitting at this guy's house, its enormous, its not only wide, its tall. I have been toying with buying one of these for about 4 years, but could never find one in my price range. At last though the numbers came together, $400 blower, $50 tolls, $100 gas (I have a fuel efficient van Nissan NV200, about 26 MPG). This blower was becoming like this mythical thing I never thought I would ever see in person, but alas.

We lifted it with a loader then got the frame in the van, then it just fit in between the wheel wells with some finaggling. Guy I bought it from (real nice guy by the way) thinks it weighs 350 pounds judging from the strain on his loader which was minimal he said. And I tend to agree because my van is a small compact cargo, and it didnt even sag with this thing in it, and my fuel economy back was the same as going to. I read that it weighs 505 but im skeptical, I can move it sorta, lift one side of it, etc.

Anyways, I took it off my truck with my 500 pound capacity genie lift, which again lifted it with ease, no problems at all.

I was messing with the blower, checking fitment to my H1502, which will require some modification (easy modification). By easy I mean in the past I bought a single stage 42" blower and had to make it spin the correct way to make it work with my Iseki which was a project, this dual stage will just require a different snowblower attachment frame to be made. The present one is 14 1/4" wide and that is the outside dimensions of my attachment points on the H1502, I could bend them in, but then the pins wont go in straight, and I like the Kwik connect of the pins, drive it up, line it up, mounts right on with almost no tools. Another thing I will have to address is the drive shaft is too close to the tractor by about 3 inches, I will have to make the blower frame longer to correct this.

So anyway, the blower is worth this project I feel, the gearbox is smooth and tight, no slop at all. But I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer. Anyone know what this blower weighs for real? Or what the H1502 tractor weighs? The reason I ask is, I got no lift mechanism assy. with this blower, it wouldnt of mattered because the guy I got it from had it for his ht20, which he felt it was too big for, I think the size and the torque of the diesel might do better with it. Some guys told me not to adapt the small frame Bolens single stage that I did in the past to my H1502 because the PTO didnt have the speed for it, they were wrong (BIGTIME), it threw snow like nobody's business, til the Penn Dot plow truck left a piece of a curb at the end of my driveway last week, and well, you know what happens next. (actually I can fix it) but that is what led me on this blower search again.

I think this blower originally lifted from the 3pt via connecting rods and linkage mechanism, which I could fabricate, however, my single stage I mentioned previously I made lift just like my 4 way 54" plow, with the front cylinder, but the single was a little lighter than this monster I just picked up. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? I cant imagine this blower is much heavier than the 54" plow I already have, its enormous as well, and it lifts with the cylinder and doesnt seem to tip the machine forward at all and doesnt seem like it affects the tractor at all when it does, other than maybe putting more weight on the front tires. And if im gonna make a blower attachment frame anyway, I may as well now make it lift with the cylinder if I can (my thinking).

Attachments

• DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC00190.JPG
    DSC00190.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 417
   / Modifying my 18148 48 inch snowblower to fit my H1502. Finally got one! #2  
I'd opt for a front lift hydraulic cylinder as well vs. the 3-pt. As far as the weight, I have a 1948 blower and it really doesn't seem that much more heavy than the Kubota blower I installed which weighs around 250 lbs. according to the manual. The person I bought the 1948 from said it was over 500 lbs but that probably included all the hardware (chute controls, mounting for the Bolens HT20, and pallet weights). I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed all of the 350 lbs though. I think your tractor weighs around 1200 lbs w/o the cab. From what I can gather, the major reason Bolens didn't recommend the 1948 on a TX tractor is the rated power input requirement. The HT20 tractor (and similar models) as well as the Bolens (Iseki) G194 and G244 all have around 20 hp available. Apparently the weight of the blower was less of a factor since the HT20 weighs less than a TX tractor if memory serves me. That doesn't mean a TX tractor can't power the blower or that it won't work at all, just that from a design standpoint they are underrated to move the amount of snow at the intended rate of travel. An easy way to fix this is just to go slower and you'll be fine.

/ Modifying my 18148 48 inch snowblower to fit my H1502. Finally got one!
I work as a contractor and I borrowed a scale from a business I was working for today, put the blower back on my Genie lift dropped it on the scale and got a weight of 359 pounds with everything included on the blower complete. Its about 50 pounds heavier than my hydraulic plow is. Just the size of this blower makes it seem possible it could weigh 500 plus pounds, I was curious more than anything, and am opting for the hydraulic cylinder as well now that I know its not twice the weight of the plow.

As for the power of the tractor vs the size of the blower, it seems as though this blower has a very heavy rotating mass (auger and fan), and it seems super smooth, as if when it gets up to speed its rotating mass will help keep it going.

I tried to adapt a gravely 2 stage blower in the past, but found before I went too far that it turned the wrong direction. Then it was junk til I got done messing with it, luckily I only paid $50 for it, then gave it to a junk man for free. But my thinking with the Gravely was the same, the fan and auger were heavy masses and once they were up to speed, it will take alot to stop them.

Hopefully I will get to the metal shop to get some steel and be started on it this weekend, I am looking forward to no more snow removal this year though.

/ Modifying my 18148 48 inch snowblower to fit my H1502. Finally got one! #4  
Thanks for getting the weight - reviewing my notes about the 1948 and similar models I've seen claims from 425 lbs. for the thrower alone (see below) to 530 lbs. as shipped on a boxed pallet. I looked back at the Kubota B2650 manual and they claimed the shipping weight of the B2650 is only 200 lbs. which seems too light but maybe that doesn't include the lift arms. There is a post about the 1948 here too you may be interested in (I apologize to the moderator in advance since this is on another tractor site):

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BolensDieselClub/conversations/topics/1727

/ Modifying my 18148 48 inch snowblower to fit my H1502. Finally got one! #5  
I drove nearly the same distance to purchase a 18148 48 blower for my H1704. Will begin this week making the modifications for mounting the blower. Do you have any pictures of the modifications and the final install? I have a plan to make it a hydraulic lift but it never hurts to see what someone else has done. Might save me some trial and error and I would love to see one installed.