What is this off the water pump?

/ What is this off the water pump? #1  

eppoh

Tractor
Iseki TS1610
When looking for place to install a temp gauge sender, I found this on the water pump housing. It looks like tap, but I did not remove the weird plastic cap, for worry I couldn't replace it any time soon and we are in the middle of mowing season.

water pump.jpg

/ What is this off the water pump? #3  
I don't think you would want an engine temp gauge at the water pump anyway. Put it on the engine so it registers engine water temp rather that radiator temp.

/ What is this off the water pump? #4  
Gary is correct. Temp gauge should be on head or block and there should be a place for it or at least a place where a sender unit for an idiot light once resided. The thing you are looking at is a weep (drip) hole for the water pump so you know when the bearing is going out. Someone put a rubber cap on it.

/ What is this off the water pump?
The thing you are looking at is a weep (drip) hole for the water pump so you know when the bearing is going out. Someone put a rubber cap on it.

After looking at an Isuzu engine manual for our engines, I think Billrog is correct. It does look like a tap for a heater hose. These engines were used in other industrial equipment such a bobcats, marine applications and possibly other equipment that have heaters. Also, it is likely this same water pump is used on other engine applications as well.

Getting that current idiot light probe out is going to be a pain. There is such little clearance around it to get a wrench on it, even a crows foot will be tough.

I am not so interested in an accurate temp gauge as much as one that will tell me if the engine is above the normal operating temp, so I may install the probe there.