G152 Dead in the Water

/ G152 Dead in the Water #1  

Digger 258

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bolens / Iseki G152 & PT-425
G-152 (3cyl TX1300 I think)

I was pulling a light lumber trailer from the front of the house back to the barn. Backed the trailer into it's spot at the barn, and dismounted to unhook the trailer. Mounted back up, threw her in gear, and no movement. Just a rubbing / slight grinding noise. The noise slowly stops as I hold the clutch down (like a shaft is slowing to a stop.) I tried Hi and Lo range, and every gear. Nothing but that new and unsettling noise. I'm not sure where to start looking. I don't think it's the clutch, because it would seem that those wear over time, not suddenly. I don't feel anything different when I shift the gears. I am a novice, but I am thinking I need to check two things: First, I hear there is a pin that connects the axle shaft to the wheel, and second there is a "spline boss" connecting the clutch to the transmission input shaft. Anything else I should be looking at, listening to or checking out? your help is much appreciated!

/ G152 Dead in the Water #2  
Have you checked the adjustment on the clutch? Also, anything stuck in the clutch linkage?

I always start with the simple first.

/ G152 Dead in the Water
I inspected the clutch linkage and all looks as it should, but I did not measure the clutch adjustment - will do that first. Here's why I suspect the clutch is not the problem: With the engine running and the clutch engaged (pedal up) I get the grinding noise. With the disengaged (pedal depressed) the grinding slows to a stop. IIRC, it does this with the tranny in any gear or in neutral. So I assumed the clutch was working to connect/disconnect engine power from the downstream tranny (based on the noise) and so the problem must be downstream of the clutch somewhere. That said, I know so little that any assumption I make is shaky at best.

/ G152 Dead in the Water
So I found the problem. My spline boss pin on the transmission side had come out, allowing the shaft to slide towards the clutch, disengaging the splines on the tranny input. I simply slid the shaft rear ward ensuring I aligned the holes, installed a crush pun I had on hand and I'm back in action. I got lucky in that it seems my splines survived. Hope my crush pin holds up to some plowing!

/ G152 Dead in the Water #5  
Glad it was an easy fix. I have a G154/TX1300F and the spline boss
in mine was shot and the input shaft in the transmission was almost
shot. I welded each spline on the shaft and then hand filed each one
so it would fit a new spline boss. The new spline boss at the time
I did mine was over $100. The input shaft was around $250 so I
fixed the input shaft but I had to but a new spline boss. Here is a picture
of mine. Be sure to put safety wire through the spring pins so they
don't work their way out.

Here is a link to a video of the shaft and old spline boss.

Bolens/Iseki Clutch Problems. G154 / TX13F - YouTube

Attachments

• 100_5957.JPG
    100_5957.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 310
   / G152 Dead in the Water
Thanks much! I saw a copper wire through the one remaining crush pin when I first diagnosed this, and it looked like household electrical wire. That tipped me off to the fact that maybe I need a safety wire, so I stuck a cotter pin in there and bent it off until I learn what wire is ideal as a safety wire. Probably nothing exotic . . .fxrs55, I love your thread - I learned a lot and appreciate your time taken to document all of this. I bought my tractor as a combination desperation/inexperience move - I had new land, and absolutely no tractor experience, combined with low funds. Bought her off of Craigslist not ever having been in a tractor seat. I have to say I have worked the heck out of this beast doing all kinds of things it probably shouldn't, and I love it more each time. I now have a Power Trac 425 in addition to the Iseki and between the two, I can do more than I ever imagined. I'm pretty grateful that I didn't have to attempt to weld spines, because that is way beyond my skill with a welder . . .

Here's the spline boss before I fixed it. G152 Spline Boss.JPG

/ G152 Dead in the Water #8  
Nice, Glade it was easy. Thanks for the picture. Its nice to
see what is wrong with other peoples tractor for
future reference.

/ G152 Dead in the Water #9  
I never heard of a power trac before so I googled it
and that looks like an interesting machine. How about
a few pictures?

/ G152 Dead in the Water
DSC_0047.JPGDSC_0124.JPG

Here's My PT-425. I real workhorse, but I noticed the non-traditional tractor layout turns some of my neighbors off. Of course, I have used it to help them all out a bunch. I really like it. There's a whole page devoted to PTs on the brand specific forums and the folks there are incredibly helpful. It was from them that I got the idea to start looking for a PT. But this being the Iseki page, here's my baby:

DSC_0045.JPGDSC_0184.JPG