TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost

/ TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost #1  

case685

Silver Member
Hi all, I have TA357-virtually the same as a MF1160. I've been having an issue with it not starting, when I turn the key I get a single click, fairly loud, not the weak ticking sound a low battery generally produces. This problem has gotten worse over the years, it only did it occasionally at first but now does it 99.9% of the time. If I boost it using my charger which has a boost feature it fires right up. The battery is good and I did replace the starter/solenoid.

Any thoughts or insights on what might be causing this and how to correct it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry.

/ TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost #2  
Check battery cables and connections, look for swelling of the cables at the ends, if you se any corrosion replace them, all connections should be perfectly clean and shinny.

/ TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost #3  
My G-152 did the same thing, and after checking all the cables / connections, I discovered I needed to take the starter motor off and clean where it mates to the block, since that's how it's grounded. Fixed the problem completely. you might give that a try.

/ TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost
Thanks Guys, I will try those to see if it fixes the problem. I did play around with the fusible links-there's 4 of them-just wiggled them around mostly, and then it fired up but it was a one time thing, I haven't been able to get it to start again after that :(

/ TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost #5  
If its intermittent Sounds to me like a bad ground . Provide another ground cable . Engine block ,direct to battery or just jumper cable to test for continuity .Has to be a logical easy fix to this

Last edited:
   / TA357/mf1160 won't start without a boost
Hi Guys
Sorry for the late update. I think I have the problem solved. My brother came over with his volt meter and found out there was a significant drop in voltage at the starter solenoid when turning the key. A closer examination showed the terminal on the solenoid was loose-turning it to the side a bit seemed to tighten it up and the tractor would start every time with it in that position-moving it back to center would loosen it and result in getting only the loud clicking sound. I moved it back to the side and epoxied it in place, hopefully that permanently takes care of the problem.

Thanks,
Gerry