1990 G154- rear pto Questions

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #11  
I would go Bolens between those two. If the 1010 is the Hinomoto E150 D, the front axle is the weak point. And the parts are going to be more expensive, harder to find. The Bolens is also a decade newer.

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #12  
Topbuilder - what is your experience with Satohs? I've heard the S370/2 4wd front axles have less than a stellar record for front axle reliability as well. I picked up an S370D recently and the front axle developed a longitudinal crack along the housing from the differential to the flange. I believe I welded it up successfully but it looked like it may have been welded up once already in another area. I'm afraid it will continue to develop cracks. Seems like if this was common maybe it's attributed to a flaw in the casting or poor material quality? They appear to be made from cast steel. I see on the Beaver III the axle is a different design (much better) and haven't heard of problems with those.

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #13  
I have no experience with Satoh's. Cracks along the previous welds are common in cast metal. Could be poor welding technique, pre heat/cool down procedures . Good luck with it.

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #14  
I have a Bolens model G-174. Same size tractor two more horse power. I use mine for manly pushing snow. My bade is 72 inches wide by 24 inches tall. It is remarkable how much snow you can push but only straight forward. There is not enough weight to turn and you can not use an angle blade at all. You need more weight.

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions
I have 2 G152 Bolens tractors. They are excellent machines. Thankfully I have needed very few parts over the years but recognize today it will take a bit of looking. These tractors were also made for Massey Ferguson and White, just different color paint, although the mower deck for the Massey was an improvement over the Bolens. White must have contracted with Bolens for their mower.

One of my machines has the factory belly mower and I have a Woods 3 PT finish on the other. No problems with the rear mower other than it is not a live PTO and when you push in the clutch the mower stops as you stated. If you are doing longer runs and do not do a lot of start/stop it works super. Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks Everyone.....Another question. If i was using the rear pto with a finish mower, I understand that when the clutch is depressed, the pto would stop. However, what if the trans was in neutral (tractor not moving), the pto was in 1,2 or 3 (not neutral) and you were not pushing the clutch-------would the pto spin while the tractor was not moving??

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #16  
The tractor being in neutral has nothing to do with the pto, only the clutch. So to answer your question, with the tractor in neutral and the clutch not engaged, pedal not depressed, the pto will be spinning.

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions
thats what I thought, thanks

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #18  
The pto would spin.

/ 1990 G154- rear pto Questions #19  
I can supply new & used parts for the G152/174 & S370 tractors. Both models have fwd parts that will break if overworked. I've had more calls for broke axle housings on the Bolens than the Satoh. The ring/pinion is a common break on the Bolens. Don't think I've ever had a call for a S370d r/p. Axle shafts & the double knuckle are the weak points on the S370d. The major problem with the Massey 1010 that Hinomoto is no longer supplying parts. I do have a 1010 parts tractor & have sources for engine & FWD parts.