New G154 Owner here

/ New G154 Owner here #1  

MoodyMan

Tractor
Bolens G154
Hi all,

So I bought my first tractor, a Bolens G154, I plan to use it mainly for maintaining my small pasture for cows, and I have a few questions.

First, its doesnt have a FEL, and seems very light in the front. What is the best way to add weight? How much do I need to add?

Second, it just had the oil filter and fuel filter changed, and all it seems to need right now is a new battery. Does anyone know what battery I should get?

Third, I've never owned a diesel before, what do I need to know?

Fourth, how big of a rough cutter can I get? I was thinking 4'

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Moody

/ New G154 Owner here #2  
Hi all,

Third, I've never owned a diesel before, what do I need to know?

Moody

I'll address the third question because it's one of my favorites. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the world of less headaches with a diesel! No worries about fuel getting stale, carburetor mixture issues (and carburetor problems in general), and misfiring. You'll be able to literally leave it sit for years and it will start like you ran it yesterday. Keep the oil changed regularly and maintain the basic integrity of the filters and you'll be good to go. I have a few tractors that are still running original fuel filters and seen some come in with the original air filter and, as long as they are not physically damaged or plugged, they work despite 40 years of age behind them.

It is very unusual to have problems related to fuel components with these engines. Be wary of rebuilding pumps and injectors because the shop "said they were bad". I've made that mistake and seen others who have with no noticeable change in the way the engine performs. They are very forgiving because they were not designed as "performance engines" where they are sensitive to a lot of their components being perfect. You're bigger problems are water and air in the fuel. Understand how to bleed the system if you run it low or out of fuel. Take measures to keep things dry (keep it stored inside as much as you can). Check your glow plugs to make sure they are working if it seems like it's hard to start.

In my opinion that's all you need to know :) Enjoy!

/ New G154 Owner here
Thank you for the advice! So far all I know it needs is a battery. Seems to start up no problems with a jump.

/ New G154 Owner here #4  
The battery might be in the 24F range. Should be able to match at auto parts or Wal-mart. Measure the width of your back tires. 42 or 48" ? I think 42" is about right. As far as weight goes, you could gain a little by adding fluid to the tires. Maybe a brush bumper.

/ New G154 Owner here #6  
Get the biggest (!!!!) battery that will fit in the battery box. A battery for a 86 Mustang will just fit in there. It needs a little coaxing but it will go.. I do not know the number of the battery.

/ New G154 Owner here
So I found the right battery size, 51. Fits perfect, starts right up.
So, driving it around, and just going through the gears, I noticed what look like gear oil leaking at the base of the stick shift. So, I parked it, and oil is coming up at the fill hole as well. I'm hoping it was just over filled by the previous owner.
So 2 questions:
1) What color should the gear oil be?
2) What level should the gear oil be at?

Thanks

/ New G154 Owner here #8  
1) Not milky (white) or black
2) There is a dipstick next to the shifter with the correct level mark on it.

Seems like I read a post where someone else had oil coming out. Yes, too high of a level can cause that. Improper venting of the housing can too, although I can't remember now where the vent is.

/ New G154 Owner here
So, it's milky beige colored. What does that mean?
I've just changed out the gear oil, ran it through some like work. The oil looks milky, but not as bad as before.

/ New G154 Owner here #10  
Milky means there is water mixed in with it which is not good of course, but better than running it with no oil at all. The added water might explain the high level too coincidentally. Changing it is the only real practical option which it looks like you did. I've seen oil still milky after an oil change but running it may drive off the residual small amount of water if you can heat it up enough through operation. Try not to leave it parked in the rain as the previous owner did, or at least cover it if you can't keep it inside. I'm always amazed when I see people spend so much money on equipment then don't take care of it. Then listen to them complain later when it doesn't work...:confused3: