4X4 Lubrication help needed.

/ 4X4 Lubrication help needed. #1  

hcforde

Bronze Member
Tractor
none yet
I have a G244 and I am replacing one of the front wheel assemblies. While taking it off I noticed the cross bar chamber was dry and I was wondering if that whole chamber is suppose to be filled with grease and maybe that was the cause of the failure. If so, what would I put in it? What is the best way? Do i pack it in manually or buy a big grease gun/ OR BOTH. I bought the tractor knowing it had this issue and but this is my first 4x4 tractor and I am ignorant of the maintenance procedures and protocols. I am assuming the same goes for the wheel assembly. The failure was the bearings where the wheel was housed, it was very dry also.

Thanks

/ 4X4 Lubrication help needed. #2  
I am not familiar with your machine but I think 80/90w gear oil in the differential and axle is pretty standard. Look at your front axle and see if you can find some fill and drain plugs on the diff and axle. If so this is how you fill and drain the oil. Any bearings that aren't oil bathed should be packed with grease.

/ 4X4 Lubrication help needed.
I am not familiar with your machine but I think 80/90w gear oil in the differential and axle is pretty standard. Look at your front axle and see if you can find some fill and drain plugs on the diff and axle. If so this is how you fill and drain the oil. Any bearings that aren't oil bathed should be packed with grease.

It is a 4x4 front axle that I have questions on. My bad for not putting that out there

/ 4X4 Lubrication help needed. #4  
The G244 is a 4x4 so you didn't have to state that it was. Follow Kernopelli advice, Use 80/90w gear oil. The axle should be filled to half way up the axle shafts from differential. You will probably have some leaks & need to replace leaking seals.

/ 4X4 Lubrication help needed. #5  
I haven't been able to find front 4x4 seals for my TA247 and they did /do leak a little. Someone on here told me about Lucas Hub Oil and it worked for the most part until I can somehow find seals.

/ 4X4 Lubrication help needed. #6  
email at parts at sheaftractor.net & I'll see if I can det you the ones you need.

Thanks, Since I am in Texas I am considering using 85/140W. It has GL5 rating as the 80/90W does.

ALSO!!! in looking at gasket material AdvanceAuto had a buy one get one free deal. I picked up the cork/rubber type and the Rubber/fiber type sheets any preference. I also picked up some Permatex Form-A-Gasket No. 2 Sealant. Any preferences insealing this up so it will not leak oil?

I got some thread sealer also, but what do I torque to?

Thanks

The G244 is a 4x4 so you didn't have to state that it was.

LOL, That was a DUH!! on my part. 11:00pm....I will claim exhaustion over stupidity:laughing: