Got those glow plug woes...

/ Got those glow plug woes... #1  

corelokt308win

Silver Member
My TL2100F is having glow plug troubles. I cant get the the resistor to glow nor the glugs to heat enough to start the tractor. I've checked and both the resistor and the plugs are recieving juice and the batteries fully charged. I have even run a jumper from the battery positive direct to the glow plugs. It has been darn cold, ie. as low as -27, but this last time I had it in my garage heated to 40 degrees for 3 hours, and I have an oil pan heater that will warm it enough to cause the temp gauge to rise slightly. Last summer I wired the glow plugs to a seperate switch, using 12 gauge wire, so I'm able to keep the glow plugs heating a long time, and up till now all has worked fine. Now even a half hour doesn't cut it. I've resorted to using starting fluid. Anybody have any idea what's up.

/ Got those glow plug woes... #2  
If the glow plugs are receiving electricity , the resistor is good. Check each glow plug with a continuity tester. If there is no continuity , the glow plug is bad. Since the glow plugs are wired in parrallel when one glow plug is bad , the resistance decreases & increases the time that it takes to heat the glow plugs. Did you run the 12 volt wire to the resistor? I think you have at least one bad glow plug. Be careful using ether. The operators manual says a proper glow plug circuit should have the glow indicator red in 20-30 seconds. I have parts for your tractor, if needed.

/ Got those glow plug woes...
I ran the jumper wire (12 gauge with alligator clips) direct to the bus bar. As stated it didn't work. Will the resistor eventually glow red if a glow plug is bad? Also, should the engine start without ether with two functional glow plugs?

/ Got those glow plug woes... #4  
Be sure your plugs are bad before replacing. The last ones I got for a TL2100 were $50 EACH. BUT, it started perfectly after I replaced them.

/ Got those glow plug woes... #5  
The electricity has to go through the resistor or it won't heat right. The resistor may eventually glow , but it would take a lot longer. It may start if 2 glow plugs could heat properly, but they can't , because it is designed for 3 plugs to get the right resistance for them to all work right. I guess that really doesn't answer your question. In other words, 2 functionning glow plugs will not work right if the 3rd one or the resistor is shot.

/ Got those glow plug woes... #6  
A glow plug resister must have a load on it to make it glow. If all glow plugs are bad there will be no load on the resister to make it glow. If you have 12 volts to the glow plugs the resister is ok. If the resister and glow plugs were good there would be about 9 volts at the plugs, the other 3 volts would heat the resister. The glow plugs in my TL3200 are marked 9 volt. I hope this will help. Larry

Thank you all, yes it does help, I have equipment to test everything out, and when it's warmer out (currently -12) I will.
Kayssupply, I've been quoted $104.00 ea. for the glow plugs, maybe $50.00 isn't bad. Where did you find them and do you have a part number?

I found glow plugs for a little over $10.00 each! I posted info in a new post.

/ Got those glow plug woes... #9  
This is to Leonard and Reed. I would like to thank both of you, for all of the helpful information that you post here on TBN. I have never made a purchase from either of you, but I know that if there is ever anything that my local dealer can't get, I am sure that you would be able.

/ Got those glow plug woes... #10  
Just go straight to Len. I am in it for the fun of it. I just like talking tractor. I would rather hunt tractor info than game. I have sold tractors in the past but am taking a rest for a while and enjoying using mine. I have one coming in a few weeks. I will be like the Yellow Page ad on TV. I'll be Kay's Tractor instead of Kay's Supply.