engine oil life

/ engine oil life #1  

corelokt308win

Silver Member
How long do yuo go between oil changes using Rotella?
Also, how long would you go using a thinner winter weight oil like 10w30 or 5w30?

/ engine oil life #2  
We recommend 50 hours or three months just because most of the manuals I read say that. With that said form seeing the tractors come through for service I would bet that most go years without an oil change. A tractor that I sold 5 years ago was in for service because he couldn’t get it started. Come to find out the air filter housing was completely full of dirt. Not just dirty....the entire housing was packed solid. It had the oil filter I put on 5 years earlier and the same oil. Still runs like a top and not a bit of smoke. A real testament to solid engineering and good materials but I wouldn’t recommend doing it to your tractor :)

Buck

/ engine oil life #3  
I agree with buck, with one addition. I know alot of folks that only do constant rpm work like mowing. They tend to get away with 100 hours and don't have any noticible problems. If you have a FEL then 50 is way the way to go... Another good practice is to use the oil change time as a time to check all your filters and fluids. Make yourself a little checklist for preventive maitanence like checking your FEL bolts, checking your fan belt tension, and greasing your fittings. PM is always the way to go for long life and less problems.

Best Regards,
Bob