Oil Pressure -- TU 220

/ Oil Pressure -- TU 220 #1  

mike2R

Hello All !
I'm looking for a little help. I changed oil in my recently acquired
TU 220 a month ago. Since that time, the oil pressure light comes on as the engine reaches operating temperature. No engine noise or other indications of real trouble occur. Last night I changed the oil and filter again. This time, instead of 15w-40w oil, I used straight 30w oil. Again, as normal temperature was reached, the oil light came on. The tractor has performed perfectly until I changed the oil and filter. Did I purchase a "doped" machine, or did I not do something correctly during the oil change ? I have very little diesel knowledge, so thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.
Mike

/ Oil Pressure -- TU 220 #2  
You may have a bad sending unit. Might want to change it.

/ Oil Pressure -- TU 220
Thanks, Leonard. I suppose that's a possibility. It just concerns me that I didn't start having this problem until I changed the oil and filter, and the fact that the oil light doesn't come on until the engine is nearly at normal operating temperature.
Do you have sending units for this model available ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oil Pressure -- TU 220 #4  
Mike, an easy way of determing condition of the engine is to swap out the sending unit for an inexpensive oil gauge. This way, you could determine two things, condition of the sending unit and depending on the results, the actual condition of the engine.

Tom

/ Oil Pressure -- TU 220
Thanks, Tom !

I did as you and Leonard suggested and replaced the sending unit with a "real" oil pressure guage. It appears the sending unit was indeed bad. At operating temperature, I have oil pressure from 40psi at idle ( 850-900 rpm ) up to 70psi at 2500 rpm full throttle.
It appears the oil had not been changed in this unit in a long, long time. And after flushing the radiator this weekend, it seems the cooling system has been neglected, too. Anyway, thanks for the replies -- both of you were right-on !

Mike