starts with a screwdriver!

/ starts with a screwdriver! #1  

Rusty9

good morning, i have recently acquired a Bolens G192 (Iseki TS1910) that requires a screwdriver on the starter solenoid to start. i would like to set this thing up properly. the ignition switch and key are there and intact but do not start the tractor. does anyone know where i can get a new switch or what the easy fix is? also the safety switch on the clutch does not work - not a huge deal but would like to fix that too.

P.S. last time i tried to start it the starter just spun free half the time - it would not catch. time for a new starter too?

thanks for the help

/ starts with a screwdriver! #2  
When you turn the key to start it does the starter motor click or do anything??............IMHO seems to be the starter itself...perhaps the solenoid if you short across it and then the starter motor kicks in.......these are easily rebuilt by a genenerator/alternator/starter repair builder shop......

Did you test the hot wire coming off the key to see if it was sending voltage back to the solenoid?...........Dennis

/ starts with a screwdriver! #3  
It sounds like you may have 2 problems. Bad solenoid & either bad wiring or switches. I can supply you with parts. The solenoid is expensive.

/ starts with a screwdriver!
thanks for the replies. i am lousy with electric diagnostics. when i turn the key nothing happens at all. i have to jump the terminals on the starter solenoid. actually i cannot get it started the last few days. too cold i gues. it'll turn over for ever but will not start.
i guess i'll have to go get a new multi-meter and learn how to test things.

Lens12 can you give me an idea as to the cost for solenoid/ignition switch?

thanks,

/ starts with a screwdriver! #5  
On the 1910 the key only selects if you want the ignition on with or without headlights. The switch on the left side of the dash engages the starter and glow plugs. I assume it is the same on the G192?

Buck

/ starts with a screwdriver! #6  
Like EFC said, you turn on the key then start with the other switch. I don't know about a Bolen but on a 1910 you also have a T handle on the left side (kinda below the dash) that MUST be pushed in. If it's not all you'll get is the engine turning over and it'll never start.

As for the clutch switch - I just "fixed" mine. The wires from under the dash were connected to each other and when I disconnected them the tractor wouldn't start. I connected them into the clutch switch and it was "fixed".

/ starts with a screwdriver!
well i knew of the t-handle. definately in when starting. i did not know of the button on the dash. i'll try that although the previous owner said i had to jump at the solenoid as the ignition did not work. i do have a spring loaded button that turns to the left for Glow and right for Start. i assumed that was the start button and nothing happens there. i'll check it out.

thanks again guys.