Best Diesel Additive?

/ Best Diesel Additive? #1  

rrkr6394

Tractor
Iseki Landleader 295
This may have been talked about before, but I'm new.

In buying an older used, or even "refurbished tractor", seems to me, that the negative effect of the diminished lubricity of the ULSD fuel would be magnified greatly in these engines.

What additives, if any, is everyone using?

/ Best Diesel Additive? #2  
rrkr6394 said:
This may have been talked about before, but I'm new.

In buying an older used, or even "refurbished tractor", seems to me, that the negative effect of the diminished lubricity of the ULSD fuel would be magnified greatly in these engines.

What additives, if any, is everyone using?
You need to do a little more research on ULSD. Sulphur is NOT a lubricant. ULSD meets the same lubricity standards as the previous diesel fuel has since January 2005. Go on over the Oil, Fuel and Lubrication forum and read some of the posts and look at some of the reference sites that are given. All your questions and concerns will be answered.

The real bottom line is that your tractor will probably run better with ULSD than it did with LSD. You may have to replace the fuel filters after several tanks of ULSD due to the cleaning effect of the new fuel.

If you are the worrying type of person then just add some Power Service to the fuel.

See Chevron - Diesel Fuels for more information.

/ Best Diesel Additive? #3  
This is a deep hole of a subject. :)

The lubricity of the new ULSD has been argued to death and back again. In my opinion we will really only know after a couple of years what the real verdict is on this. That verdict will either be failures like we had when LSD came in or we may not have any problems at all. Only time will tell.

The one real problem with ULSD fuel is it's lower gel point. I have seen a couple of test that have been done on ULSD with some of them showing gel points as high as +7 degrees F.

Personally I have in the past, do currently and will continue to use additives in the future. It stabalizes my fuel, keeps fuel systems and combustion chamber clean and if nothing else gives me peace of mind.

Since I make the majority of my own fuel (Bio-Diesel) I don't really have to worry about the lubricity problem since Bio-Diesel has a excellent lubricity characteristic. I do however have to use a winter additive since Bio-Diesel has even a higher gel point than dino diesel.

I have used TRC's fuel additives for years and even sell them now. I use either DZL-PEP or DZL-PEP Arctic depending on the time of the year in my diesel fuel and DZL-LENE in my home heating oil and gas engines.

/ Best Diesel Additive? #4  
MadReferee is correct that sulfur is not a lubricant. However, the process that removes the sulfur from the fuel also removes the natural lubricity agents of diesel fuel. There are ASTM standards that the fuel must meet when it is despensed at the pump but this is left in the hands of the distributor. If the bulk distributor does not properly treat the fuel before delivery to the fuel stations lubricity and gel points will be of great concern.

The simple answer is that by removing the sulfur it DOES reduce lubricity.

/ Best Diesel Additive?
DieselPower said:
MadReferee is correct that sulfur is not a lubricant. However, the process that removes the sulfur from the fuel also removes the natural lubricity agents of diesel fuel. There are ASTM standards that the fuel must meet when it is despensed at the pump but this is left in the hands of the distributor. If the bulk distributor does not properly treat the fuel before delivery to the fuel stations lubricity and gel points will be of great concern.

The simple answer is that by removing the sulfur it DOES reduce lubricity.

Thanks for the replies. Although, I did not state that sulfer had any lubricating properties, I beleive it is a fact that the new "environmentally correct" fuel indeed has less lubricity, sulfer aside.

I was thinking of Amsoil additives, 1 oz to 5 gallons is what they specify.
I believe strongly in their motor oils.

/ Best Diesel Additive? #6  
I have used Power Service in the past. They have an interesting product group primarily for Diesel fuel itself. I read quite a bit a while back about the sulfer issue and you are correct that the current fuels have a problem with old pumps. I haven't followed the industry that closely in over the current years so I wonder if they the fuel producers have dealt the lubricity themselves?

I have always had a concern when the treatment ratio was so low as you mentioned for Amzoil. 1 oz to 5 gallons is very small - I would need convincing that the product could distribute itself effectively.

Take a look at the Power Service 911 product - Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

Garth

/ Best Diesel Additive?
GarthH said:
I have used Power Service in the past. They have an interesting product group primarily for Diesel fuel itself. I read quite a bit a while back about the sulfer issue and you are correct that the current fuels have a problem with old pumps. I haven't followed the industry that closely in over the current years so I wonder if they the fuel producers have dealt the lubricity themselves?

I have always had a concern when the treatment ratio was so low as you mentioned for Amzoil. 1 oz to 5 gallons is very small - I would need convincing that the product could distribute itself effectively.

Take a look at the Power Service 911 product - Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

Garth

Thanks for the link. With regard to the Amsoil thing, 1oz to 5 gallons does seem a bit futile. But, at 16 dollars a bottle, for 16 oz, it better work miraculously:rolleyes:

/ Best Diesel Additive? #8  
In yesterday's Penn State Ag News there was an article entitled, Know The Sulfur Content of Your Diesel Fuel, written by Dennis Buffington, Dept of Ag and Biological Engineering. His quote:
"However, when sulfur content is reduced in diesel fuel, one consequence is that lubricity of the fuel is greatly reduced."
He goes on to say that fuel used for "off road" functions is exempted from the ultra-low sulfur requirements, at least for the present time.

/ Best Diesel Additive? #9  
Oleozz said:
He goes on to say that fuel used for "off road" functions is exempted from the ultra-low sulfur requirements, at least for the present time.
Yes, but try and find some LSD that isn't really home heating oil. Here in the northeast LSD is a thing of the past because the bulk distributors have all gone to storing ULSD only. As the refineries get better at producing ULSD the amount produced that does not meet the <15 ppm sulphur threshold will get smaller and smaller. This was expected to take a few years but the EPA has already stated that the refineries are ahead of schedule. Right now according to the EPA, in most refineries any fuel batches that do not meet the <15 ppm standard are consigned as LSD.

As always, none of the above applies to California where ULSD is all that is now available.