JD 14T Baler?

/ JD 14T Baler? #1  

steveky

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ L3010HST, BX 1800
Found a 14T baler at local JD dealer, said it needs a shaft that operates the Knotters, anyone had any experience with this and how big of a job is it to replace it? Wants $500 as is, 265 for the shaft and $1200 if they put the shaft in. Not a bad looking baler, chains look good.

Thanks
Steve

/ JD 14T Baler? #2  
Gimme a better description of the "shaft". Where is it and what's connected to it ? I've got a parts book. Knotter is the same on several other brands and models. Shaft is just a piece of steel from TSC with some holes in it as far as I'd be concerned.

Picture would be better. The whole knotter is mounted on a frame. Pull the chains off. Pull out Cotter pins, Shaft in hand. 2 hours of fiddling with a few cold Red Bulls in your system.

Then retime (install chains after setting position of plunger, feeder forks and knotter shaft).

You might find a few other things need to be dressed up (twine knives sharpened, etc.). Price seems a bit high but look at prices for parted out 14T and 24T jobs on eBay. That's where a shaft could come from: Find previous sales of parted out units, ask seller if they have the shaft, ... you get the picture.

Just provide some more detail, its a perfect father and young son project. Then, you too, will be a "baler man".

Here's my 14T after a day of use.

/ JD 14T Baler?
The shaft is still on the baler. I looked at on saturday and the rest of the baler looks decent for its age. Also it looked like they where running too small of twine in it. I know I used to have an old #3 mf and it wouldn't tie if you put the smaller twine for round balers in it...surely the JD dealer mechanic would know that. I put a 44 A together from parts and service manual a few years ago. Might be a good winter project for sure...and the son could care less about hay balers....lol.

Steve

/ JD 14T Baler? #4  
Size of twine shouldn't matter. However the twine tension settings would have to be reset (tightened) to hold the stuff. Bale strength will be affected, though. Could means some broken ones at delivery.

As far as son having no interest, could be time to get some interest, especially if you stop feeding him or better: move him out.

/ JD 14T Baler?
I might drive up and look at it again, give it a closer look. Its one of the better looking 14T's I've seen around as far as sheet metal being straight and stuff like that. The son's already moved out...and I'm glad I'm not feeding him anymore either....lol. Thanks for the info.

Steve

/ JD 14T Baler? #6  
Here's the knotter guts. You can see the main frame bolts and the several shafts that could be the "shaft needs to be replaced".

/ JD 14T Baler? #7  
I grew up with a JD 24T baler, so hopefully I can help a bit...

The "shaft that drives the knotters", I would assume, is the main shaft, or "axle" that they are mounted on. It looks as if this shaft may be broken as it looks like the whole knotter assembly is sagging a bit on the RH side where the drive sprocket is.

Just looking at the picture, you might have other problems as well...
  • Where is the knife/wiper arm on the RH knotter? It's clearly visible in the left knotter, but the right, it's invisible. The knotter drive wheels appear to be in the same position for both knotters, so the knife/wiper arms should be too... but they're not. It's probably broken, and will need to be replaced.
  • Check the twine discs on both knotters. The notches in them should not be worn and should have square edges. If they are excessively worn, you're going to have problems with the knotters not tying. The discs on the RH knotter look pretty worn.
I've attached a picture illustrating what I'm talking about above.

Not from the picture, but things to check anyway...
  • Check the bearings/bushings on the connecting rod for the plunger. A couple thousandths of play is OK, but if they're really sloppy, that's more repairs that you're going to have to do.
  • Check the plunger knife. Should be sharp and not excessively worn.
  • Check the condition/thickness of the metal in the bale chamber, especially in the area of the tension adjustment springs behind the knotters. Lots of bales through the machine means this metal will get worn very thin, and could be worn completely through. More potential repairs.
  • Check that both needles are not bent/broken, and are in time with the plunger. Especially check this AFTER the repair to the knotter shaft. Any time that the knotter drive chain is removed, the baler must be re-timed, or else you could (or will) break the needles. The 24T has a safety plunger stop that will stop the plunger if things aren't were they should be at the proper time... I"m not sure if the 14T has this feature as well.
  • Check the condition of the U-joints in the PTO shaft... balers are hard on U-joints.
  • Check the condition of the bearings in the auger in the pickup.
  • Make sure that the hay fingers are in time with the plunger.
  • Check for missing/broken pickup teeth.
That's about all I can think of right off hand. Looks like they've got the baler cleaned up pretty well, so any worn/damaged areas should be easier to see. Check extra carefully any areas that have been repainted.

The JD 14T/24T's were both excellent balers, and because of that, most farmers (at least around here) didn't get rid of them until they were absolutely completely worn out. So any time you're looking at a used one, it's wise to give it a thorough checkout so that you're not investing in a money pit. But, if everything looks good, you should be getting a good baler. They just aren't spring chickens anymore ;). Since this one has a broken knotter shaft (I've never seen or heard of that happening before), I'd be kind of leery about this one...

If possible (I know it's getting to be the wrong time of year for this, but :rolleyes:) I'd have the dealer bring it over on a "Try before buy" basis. If it missed 1 bale out of 100, I'd pass on it, unless you aren't afraid to open up your wallet for parts. As these balers get older, the knotters are usually what gets them traded in for a new machine... you can keep throwing new parts at them, but everything is just so worn that they won't work properly anymore, even with all new parts. The knotters have to be nearly Perfect to work properly.

Good Luck with your purchase, shop wisely!

Attachments

• 14TKnotters.JPG
    14TKnotters.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 3,521
   / JD 14T Baler? #8  
Whoa Nelly, the picture is not of the baler he's lookin at. its a photo from another unit from a Google pix search for a typical vintage JD knotter assembly..

The shaft you think is sagging only looks that way because of the camera position. That gap is true. There are two shafts there: one from the feeder fork mechanism (which drives the knotter) and the other is the knotter jackshaft. A chain connects them. This is necessary to precisely time the knotter events. The pulley-like cup and the rectangular bar on top of it are a ratchet cam and cam follower mechanism which gets engaged when the length measuring wheel decides it time to complete a bale and tie it up.

All things taking into account the units age. TCS has many of the parts that could be worn out: chains, pickup tines, u-joints, tires, springs, and chain gears. The dealer wants $500. In good working order its worth $1,000. If also painted, its worth $1,500 (must include decals). I even added a "Go ahead, Make my Hay" sticker.

/ JD 14T Baler? #9  
Ahhh, OK. I didn't notice that it was you and not the OP that put up the picture:eek:. Sorry about that!! That gap does look a little wierd in the photo though ;).