Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter?

/ Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter? #11  
Thanks slowzuki. I will focus on condition and not on year, that's good advice. I've heard folks mention the paint wear on the auger and in the bale chute as a good indicator of the number of bales through the equipment, do you agree with that? Is there another better indicator?

I suppose somebody could always put 30,000 bales through the thing and repaint the auger! :)

Chet.

Reno at the Ennis JD dealer has forgotten more about square balers than many experts claim to know. You might want him to look it over.

D.

/ Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter?
Reno at the Ennis JD dealer has forgotten more about square balers than many experts claim to know. You might want him to look it over.

D.

That's a great tip, thanks Daren. I'll go chat with him. That is one thing I've figured in the couple of years I've been doing this... a knowledgable guy is worth his weight in gold. That's why this forum is so handy.

Of course, I can't drag ya'll to every JD and NH dealership in North Texas... :)

Chet.

/ Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter? #13  
Its its tough to teach someone how to check for wear, a snazzy paint job has fooled many a person. If you aren't experienced, do you know anyone who is? Wear and slop can discover fairly easy. Look for welds including on the needles. Older balers you could look at the hitch, they wear over time from the plunger shaking. The ones with a ball won't show much wear though. The tracks the plunger rides on can tell a bit. Check the pto shaft, the support bearings and bushings get loose with use.

Also, just so ya know, 30,000 bales isn't that many bales really. A 50 head dairy farm I worked on put up 10,000 bales a year with one baler, thats only 8-10 days use.

Slowzuki, thanks for the tips. I probably should start putting together a list of things to look for. As for somebody knowledgable, I've got a neighbor who has helped a bunch, so I'll probably utilize him when I can. He ran a JD square baler before his current one ~10 years ago, so he should be a good resource.

Wow, 30,000 isn't much. Ha, I guess that's the difference between professionals and a guy like me just looking to feed his wife's and neighbors horses. For my current field, 30,000 bales is 15-20 years of use! I expect that I'll be helping some of my other neighbors out once I get fully equipped (I already help with their cutting and raking, and have been asked on the baling many times), so maybe it will be closer to 10-15 years. That's probably a good thing though, since with my light use, any baler that I eventually get should last a good while for me. Of course, my current retirement plan is to move out of town and upgrade the acreage... so you never know. :)

Thanks again for the help guys,

Chet

Darin,

I checked out machinefinder, and it looks like the Rhome guys only have one used baler currently, and it's a 348 (big). I'll probably give them a ring and make sure though. Although it does look like they do a good job of updating their inventory online.

2128218914_wm.jpg

Chet.

/ Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter? #16  
Slowzuki, thanks for the tips. I probably should start putting together a list of things to look for. As for somebody knowledgable, I've got a neighbor who has helped a bunch, so I'll probably utilize him when I can. He ran a JD square baler before his current one ~10 years ago, so he should be a good resource.

Wow, 30,000 isn't much. Ha, I guess that's the difference between professionals and a guy like me just looking to feed his wife's and neighbors horses. For my current field, 30,000 bales is 15-20 years of use! I expect that I'll be helping some of my other neighbors out once I get fully equipped (I already help with their cutting and raking, and have been asked on the baling many times), so maybe it will be closer to 10-15 years. That's probably a good thing though, since with my light use, any baler that I eventually get should last a good while for me. Of course, my current retirement plan is to move out of town and upgrade the acreage... so you never know. :)

Thanks again for the help guys,

Chet

30,000 squares is not a big deal, but 30,000 round bales is something. With round balers it is not unusual to find them with 10,000+ bales within 2-3 years.

D.

/ Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter? #17  
Darin,

I checked out machinefinder, and it looks like the Rhome guys only have one used baler currently, and it's a 348 (big). I'll probably give them a ring and make sure though. Although it does look like they do a good job of updating their inventory online.

2128218914_wm.jpg

Chet.

Those Rhome guys usually have some used balers - so give them a ring.

I would talk to all the dealers around and tell them what you are looking for so when one comes up they can call you. Many times equipment never hits the lot. It is traded in and hauled right to the new owner.

Ricky got me all used hay baling equipment at a very fair price. It helped them cut a good deal for me and the other guy because he was buying new equipment. Their cost of inventory is low, etc. It works out great for all involved. He could have sold my 467 5 times before I got to pick it up, but it is sold.

They are looking for a square baler for me, but I am rethinking the square baler. I used this hay to feed my longhorns and until a couple things happen:

1. Production picks up.
2. Less cows to feed
3. Quality of my grass attracts the high dollar horse people

I might as well stick with my round bales.

Another thing to consider - getting a square baler home. It won't fit on most trailer (read almost all). I saw a new 348 come in from JD - If I remember right they ship it on their side.

D.

Yeah, squares only for me. I've only got 13 acres, and all but one of my regular customers are horse people. I'd lose everybody if I did rounds. My back would feel much better though. :)

I've thought about the baler hauling issue. I'm hoping to mitigate that by buying local and just driving the back roads at 30 mph to get it home. My luck I'll find the perfect baler at a great price in Arkansas or Lousiana and I'll spend a weekend driving backroads at 30mph.

Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like too bad of a deal...

Chet.

/ Does JD 328/338/348 Baler Model Matter? #19  
Yeah, squares only for me. I've only got 13 acres, and all but one of my regular customers are horse people. I'd lose everybody if I did rounds. My back would feel much better though. :)

I've thought about the baler hauling issue. I'm hoping to mitigate that by buying local and just driving the back roads at 30 mph to get it home. My luck I'll find the perfect baler at a great price in Arkansas or Lousiana and I'll spend a weekend driving backroads at 30mph.

Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like too bad of a deal...

Chet.
Cool deal - if you have people asking about rounds - I can hook them up.

D.

I'll do that Darin.

Chet.