Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: John Deere 594 hay rake (restoration pics)

Thanks for the reply, I think I will give the welding a try, I have searched all over for a gear or a rake that is close by. I can find them but transporting them is a problem.

My friend has a few old implements for sale and one is an old steel wheeled rake. The paint is gone from years in the weather but I can make out the wheels were yellow and a hint of a green frame. I suppose it was a Deere and looks like your 594. I am going to buy his hammer mill and he told me he would sell the rake for $50.
    Looks complete but needs some TLC, I may just buy it. How can i find out for sure if it is a 594?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

$50 you can not go wrong regardless of brand. Even if it is a total wreck you can scrap it and make money even at today's deflated scrap values. FWIW I just bought another JD 594 on steel wheels at auction in nice shape but real rusty for $90. I indirectly new the owner so I wanted it. He is in his 90's and either he or his father purchased it new and I know it was not used in decades so it actually has very little wear in it. For irony, I was actually bidding against the scrap man at the last few bids.

As for telling if it is a 594 or not simply look at some of the casting codes on any of the parts and compare to the original JD parts list which can be viewed for free at JD's parts website.

The JD 553 is essentaily the same as the JD 594 and many of the parts will interchange, but the 553 only has 3 bars. All versions of the 594 will have 4 bars and better in my opinion as the 4 bar unit will not leave any hay behind. The 594LW is essentially the same rake as the standard 594 but will have little 15" or 16" car size wheels on the front instead of the large 36" size. Of course the little wheels mandates extra chains,sprokets, and jackshafts which can wear. I prefer simplicity so I like the large wheeled units as they are mechanically much simpler.

I had been toying with the idea of also trying to pick up other alternative old time rakes that has tedder/ reverser gears in them until an old timer just recently talked me out of it. He strongly advised me to stick with the 594's. His comment was The 594's do an excellent unsurpassed job of raking and do not rope the hay(limiting the comparison pool to rakes of the same era and similar price range for purchasing used units cheaply) . The 594 can fluff the hay too and kinda serve as an improvised tedder even though it does not have reverser gears. JD sold lots of them so used parts are plentiful and they have real metal in them so repairs are possible. The New ideas are also plentiful and they do have tedder/reverser gears but they are made from stamped sheet metal. On the New Ideas in areas where strength is needed the sheet metal components are laminated in an attempt to make the components stronger/re-inforce but most I have seen are worn out and you can not do much to bring them back as the metal is just too flimsy after 70 plus years of abuse. The IH vintage rakes also have tedder gears, but I have never heard a good word regarding any of IH hay equipment so I stay clear of all of it. I just recently learned about a Case which I never new existed, but there are just not many of them out there so used parts would prove difficult. However I had themchance to look over a friend's Case F170 rake earlier this evening and I do like what I see of it, but the parts issue scares me. In short, the 594 will be hard to beat when comparing it to other rakes of the same vintage. The 594 was introduced in 1934 (but made for 20 some years) so the design is going on 75 years old now. As with the Ford N series tractors it is quite impressive that many people are still using them today.
    Last edited by rankrank1; 06-28-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks fro the info RR1, sounds like those old JD rakes work as good or better than some modern ones. I used a NH 256 roll-a-bar for years and if would roll the hay a bit too much. Will certainly give the rake a closer look when I pick up the hammer mill. Pop tells me if I had ever used one of those mills I would never be buying that one. I am looking to buy a Massey-Harris 44 or 444 or 55 and just want a few implements of that time period

Tractor
    None

My father is looking hayrake rims that use rubber tires 30 or 36" We would greatly appreciate any info you have I can be reached at alstewart@uky.edu or you can reach my father Sid Stewart at 606 743 4594.

Quote Originally Posted by rankrank1 View Post
    Posted this at Yeserday's tractor so some of you may have already seen but thought I would post these here too.

This old hay rake was my father-in laws and had not been used in 18 years. It was in extremely poor condition and had extreme sloppiness due to wear almost everyhere:
    a) I replaced every bolt with grade 5 hex heads bolts(which replaced grade 2 square head bolts and nuts which were worn away to almost nothing from running loose for years).
    b) Made all new bushings from scrap pipe for the tongue, adjusting levers, and chain pulleys.
    c) Used about 3 lbs of Mig welding wire used to build up parts and do repairs as needed.
    d) Put the bars "in time" as they were out of time.
    e) Rattle can paint job to spruce it up.
    f) Matching the casting codes it is somewhere between a 1940-1948 unit - my repairs should make it usuable for another 50 years.
    G) Note the ingenuis home fabricated conversion to steel wheels by the previous owner to replace the original 4 x 36" rubber tires which had deteroraited. (New replacement rubber tires at $230 each would far exceed the value of the rake).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12