Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6025

Default John Deere 640 hay rake.....

I bought a the JD 640 hay rake cheap, and it appears to be in good condition. The only problem is the gearbox. The previous owner advised that it was working fine when he parked it. The pin that puts the rake into gear wont turn so i cannot get the rake into gear. Does this mean the gearbox is bad or what. How can I tell?...
    "The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing" Edmond Burke

Tractor
    jd 1070

Default Re: John Deere 640 hay rake.....

Looks like the lever opens and releases a clutch pack which may be just a bit dry. Probably no big deal to take it apart and clean it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -jd-640-rake-gearbox-jpg  
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6025

Thanks for the scematic, Ive looked everywhere on the internet for that. I opened the case up and cleaned out all the grease and found the problem. the part that releases the clutch had "jumped" the collar, i put it in place and got it working. While doing this I found the roller bearing to be bad, Part 22 I think). I gotta get this ordered from John Deere, and figure out how to fix it, any suggestions? Thanks Alot, BDW593
    "The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing" Edmond Burke

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6025

if anyone can post some pics of a restored 640 hay rake, or one in really good shape i would appreciate it. I plan on restoring this one, (paint etc. ) and would like some examples, also a up close picture of the gear box and the engagment leaver would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tractor
    John Deere 2010,A

Hello. I have a John Deere 640 hay rake and want to know what lube or grease is used in the gear box? Mine works fine and is full of grease. Is this what they used grease not gear lube? Thanks

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

If seals were bad many times grease or corn head lube was used in lieu of 85-140 W gear oil & replacing seals.