JD 4020 vs newer models

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #1  

Niji

Silver Member
I've been knocking along with my little JD 850 diesel, and the hay making needs and business have grown around here, and it's clear I need 2 tractors, and one needs to be larger. Most of my needs are for square bales, but I always end up in the situation where I need to get some of the hay round baled--it gets too mature, gets rained on, needs to get up quickly before rain sets in, or the square baler is broken.... I depend on neighbors for round bales, but see clearly I've got to get my own going.

I'm on a low budget for starters, and I've been keeping an eye on the used equip ads. I've been particularly taken with the old JD 4020s. This may be a misguided romantic notion, since I have no experience with that tractor, but I read that they are a solid tractor, and I've seen models claimed to be in good condition, or even somewhat restored, for 6,500-10,000 bucks. I use a fairly new JD 5410 occassionally, and it's pretty decent, but I'm not sure for my needs spending the extra money for a newer tractor like that (not that I have it to spend, just theoretically speaking) is neccesary.

I'm very familiar with the jd 4440, and International 656, 1086, and 1486--all of which I grew up driving. So my question is, for those who know the 4020, is it a good choice for a larger haymaking tractor? Is it worth the money they're asking? And, how might it compare to both newer JD models, or the older IHs for a frame of reference I might best understand?

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #2  
Many thousands of bales have been put up with a 4020. I don't know what they have been going for this year, but about a year ago I saw a few go for over $10000.00 at auctions. They are a simple no frills tractor that run very well.

I have a friend who until 5-6 years ago it was his primary tractor on a 200 acre farm. He did tillage, and all harvesting with it, including hay. The newer ones were "non-dash" models. Meaning the 3 point and hyd. levers are on the side next to the fender, older ones the controls were on the dash.

Like everything they do have a few weak points. Front axles weren't very strong and could be stressed with a loader (common for a lot of tractors this old). Powershift works great as long as it's been taken care of but if not the repairs can run over $10000.00. The sycro trans was hard to shift and sticks in park when on a slope. Also if you lose power you lose streeing and brakes.

4020 is about equal to a 966 IH, the 966 might be a little larger, the 4020 was about 90-95 hp. JD 4440 was a much larger tractor around 130-140 hp.

I have spent several thousand hours on them and I like them.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #3  
We have the 4020's cousin, the 4000, and its bigger brother the 4320.

The 4020 would be very capable at doing what you what to do with it. But would not be my first pick for a tractor. These two on our place is usually the last to be used.

As far as pricing, it can be all over the board, the 4020 is becoming/has become a collector tractor so the ones in decent shape are bringing top dollar while some are just beat to death and all used up.

As far as the "romantic notion", 4020's will always be a tractor/farm/JD icon. They look neat and sound great, but IMHO are overrated.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #4  
In it's day a 4020 was one of the best tractors out there. By todays standards it will be slow. Hydraulics will be very slow and the controls "rough". As far as being able to put in hay it will do just fine. Engine is a very good one and most parts are able to be gotten easy. I liked the 4000 better, lighter, faster, but still slow on the hydraulics and no diff lock.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #5  
I bought a 5000 hr synchroshift 4020 several years ago and put right at another 5000 hrs on it while I had it. My main use for it was haying and running a 15' batwing. It did both jobs very well. They are a "thirsty" tractor though;). Right after I bought the first on I bought a second that was a powershift. It apparently had not been taken very good care of. The powershift worked great until you put a load on the tractor. A rebuild was quite a bit more than I had paid for the tractor:eek:. Its front end was better than the other the ones was, and it had a new seat and tires. I put the "new" stuff on the synchro tractor and dumped the other one thru an auction. They are a good riding tractor with their long wheelbase, but most of them that have been worked are getting long in the tooth. My experience was that the pto seals and the seals on the 3 pt loadshaft could be very troublesome. The 24V electrical system could be very "interesting" at times also, but it would actually start better as a 24V in cold weather than it did after I had it converted to 12V.
Prices locally for a "good" one can easily top $10,000. You can actually buy a several years newer Ford, IH, Case, or MF for less money, because they don't have the collector/nostalgia appeal/factor.
While I really liked the old beast, my wife hated the synchro trans. After the gates/lever got worn it was bad to hang between gears and she really never understood the pattern either. She always prefered to run "her" Ford 4600 over the JD any day.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #6  
I'm going to an auction this weekend where there will be a diesel 4020 and a diesel 3020 for sale. This thread has me curious. What tractor in the 70 hp to 95 hp range would you recommend over the 4020 or 3020? Older is fine as price is a concern.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #7  
I'm going to an auction this weekend where there will be a diesel 4020 and a diesel 3020 for sale. This thread has me curious. What tractor in the 70 hp to 95 hp range would you recommend over the 4020 or 3020? Older is fine as price is a concern.

That age I can't think on one I would over a 4020, 4000 or even a 3020. IH and AC made some good tractors, but they had in my opinon more issues than a JD. Ford, Case and White/Oliver weren't even close to either (As far as tech, not saying they didn't make a rugged machine). The last reason is parts. With all the mergers over the years parts for some products are either having long wait times, or not even able to get. No one at the time could come close to the powershift on the 4020. Now if you want to talk newer machines, thats a differnt story, and price what price range. You kind left a large open question. If you wanted to spend a little more JD made the 4040, 4240, 2940, etc. All would be better for not much more money than a 4020. Other mfg had good machines that were newer also. As chh said you can get a newer Ford, Case, basically anything but a Deere for similar money to a 4020.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models
Thanks for the posts. I've got some experienced and educated input to chew on now. After reading through these, though, unless I found a local deal I couldn't pass up on a 4020 (or similar JD), I think I'll broaden my search, and concentrate on a more affordable, more recent larger tractor. There are tons of Massey Fs around here, so I might explore that route. I've had diesel and gas TO35s, and found them to be fine workhorses, but they were ancient. I'll cast a wider net.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #9  

My neighbor has a late 1970s JD 2640 tractor with a 6-ft wide FEL. Nice machine (70 hp pto). I've seen several sell for $6500 on eBay during the past 2 years.

/ JD 4020 vs newer models #10  
4020 was a fantastic tractor and i think still as good as JD ever made..better than many newer models but as someone said ..becoming too valuable and collectable....There are newer tractors of other brands that are equally as good if not better with some newer touches,Fwa and better cabs for the money...In the MF,IH and ford stables....
Just a case of doing your homework....Don't get the "Green" blinkers...They made their share of "mooses " too..!