JD 346 Baler

/ JD 346 Baler #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I am looking at a JD 346 baler

Any comments one way or another on this model?

D.

/ JD 346 Baler #2  
My wifes uncle had one. Just a beast, take hay as fast as you could feed it. His had a kicker and realy could fill a wagon fast.

/ JD 346 Baler
   / JD 346 Baler #4  
OK I won the auction:

john deere 346 square hay baler - eBay (item 150443595220 end time May-20-10 20:35:19 PDT)

I wont be able to go get it until after Memorial Day weekend. My JD dealer has a very good tech for square balers. I am thinking of just dropping it off there and having him go thru it and give me a report.

john deere 346 square hay baler - eBay (item 150443595220 end time May-20-10 20:35:19 PDT)

D.

Congrats on your new baler. Looks real nice. Price is in line with what others have paid on eBay for similar balers in good condition like yours (I keep track of the eBay auctions for haying equipment so I have some idea of ballpark prices people are paying for this type of gear).

Also nice that it's located in TX so you don't have to journey too far to pick it up. I was fortunate in finding an MF124 baler two years ago that was only about 35 miles from my place. Towed it home via the back roads with the F150.

/ JD 346 Baler
One of the tires has no tread. We are going to trailer it home.

D.

/ JD 346 Baler
Congrats on your new baler. Looks real nice. Price is in line with what others have paid on eBay for similar balers in good condition like yours (I keep track of the eBay auctions for haying equipment so I have some idea of ballpark prices people are paying for this type of gear).

Also nice that it's located in TX so you don't have to journey too far to pick it up. I was fortunate in finding an MF124 baler two years ago that was only about 35 miles from my place. Towed it home via the back roads with the F150.

Good to know i didn't get hosed on it. I hope it is in good shape. The guy has been baling with it. We will see how it looks in person and what my JD tech says.

I am wondering if it will run the new style twine. The poly twine. All the horse people around here love that stuff. My hay is finally horse quality. I want to get a horse quality price for it. :)

/ JD 346 Baler #7  
Just noticed this thread... (I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes!) :D Baler looks to be fairly straight - no major bruises evident in the pics!

Old farmer in SD tells me that when you see a small square baler using sisal twine that the knotters are likely getting worn, billhook, etc. and can't use the poly. Slips the knots too easily and won't tie consistently. Not sure myself...

'Course there are folk's that won't use the poly cause it doesn't "degrade" as it's not a natural, organic product... So, they won't buy poly tied bales.

I'll be waitin' to see your report and pictures from your square bale operation.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ JD 346 Baler #8  
Old farmer in SD tells me that when you see a small square baler using sisal twine that the knotters are likely getting worn, billhook, etc. and can't use the poly. Slips the knots too easily and won't tie consistently. Not sure myself... AKfish

I used sisal in my old IH-37 and I still use it in my new JD. I hate the plastic stuff. You drop some sisal on the ground, it just stays there and rots. The plastic will manage to find a piece of rotating equipment and tangle itself in it.

/ JD 346 Baler #9  
Back around 1980 I had one of these balers. It was a mixed bag at best.

It was new, well, tech used as it had a couple tons of hay through it. Here is the issues I had with it:

* Instruction manual was incorrect for timing the needles. Time the needles to the manual and you would be breaking them quickly. I went through a number of needles until I had a JD mech tell me the manual was wrong.

* Broke a knoter frame for no apparent reason. Replacement was a generic replacement. Came with instruction on what had to be modified depending upon which model baler it was going on.

* Had to replace the crank big-end bearing a couple times every season. It just wasn't up to the task when running heavy loads through the machine. Always carried a spare with me as you never knew when a bearing was going to go. This bearing came with a custom ID and not available anywhere other than a JD dealership. I came up with a workaround and bought bearing from a bearing supplier and paid something like a third of what the JD dealership was charging.

* Early models came with the tongue jack that was a real widow maker. Could have done some real damage when the handle came flying off and missed my head by a couple inches.

If one is prepared for some of it's short comings, the baler could push a lot of hay through it.

/ JD 346 Baler
Back around 1980 I had one of these balers. It was a mixed bag at best.

It was new, well, tech used as it had a couple tons of hay through it. Here is the issues I had with it:

* Instruction manual was incorrect for timing the needles. Time the needles to the manual and you would be breaking them quickly. I went through a number of needles until I had a JD mech tell me the manual was wrong.
----

Thanks for the info. I"ll have to make a note of that.

* Broke a knoter frame for no apparent reason. Replacement was a generic replacement. Came with instruction on what had to be modified depending upon which model baler it was going on.

-----

I may have a chance to get a 346 parts baler. Not sure I need a couple one laying around. If I get it, I may part it out.

* Had to replace the crank big-end bearing a couple times every season. It just wasn't up to the task when running heavy loads through the machine. Always carried a spare with me as you never knew when a bearing was going to go. This bearing came with a custom ID and not available anywhere other than a JD dealership. I came up with a workaround and bought bearing from a bearing supplier and paid something like a third of what the JD dealership was charging.

Which bearing is that? I don't know what you are talking about, but if I need some spare parts I want to have them on hand.

* Early models came with the tongue jack that was a real widow maker. Could have done some real damage when the handle came flying off and missed my head by a couple inches.

Mine has a jack back on the case.

If one is prepared for some of it's short comings, the baler could push a lot of hay through it.

I dropped it off at the JD dealership. It will be interesting to see what all they find. First off he said one knotter looked good, the other one needed to be timed.

Said the plunger bearings are shot.

No clutch plates in the clutch.

Grade 8 bolt in the shear pin

They are going to get me an estimate early this week. I hope it is not too painful.

D.