JD 346 Rebuilt

/ JD 346 Rebuilt #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I am going to venture into a project. Has anybody pulled the plunger out of these balers and done all the bearings and shimmed it, etc?

Thanks,
D.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt #2  
Yes.

It's been a while since I have down one. It doesn't come out all that hard, need to remove the resistor plates, tie up the hay dogs and loosen the tension springs all the way off. I think thats about it, then it should slide right out the back.

I could be forgetting something, it's been a while.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt
Yes.

It's been a while since I have down one. It doesn't come out all that hard, need to remove the resistor plates, tie up the hay dogs and loosen the tension springs all the way off. I think thats about it, then it should slide right out the back.

I could be forgetting something, it's been a while.

OK - I am going to dive into this baler and see what I can learn. I suspect it needs all new bearings on the plunger and probably guides. I guess I will know when I tear it apart.

Any good sources for parts besides my JD dealer?

D.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt #4  
Bearings are bearings. Match them up and go cheap.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt
Bearings are bearings. Match them up and go cheap.

Once I get the plunger out I will have a better idea of what I am dealing with. I am assuming they are all shot - feels pretty loose in there.

D.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt #6  
I now sometimes its a pain in the a**. But take some pics so we can join in your venture! I never know when I am going to get in the same situations:thumbsup: Good luck! Tell ya the truth wish I could help!

/ JD 346 Rebuilt
I now sometimes its a pain in the a**. But take some pics so we can join in your venture! I never know when I am going to get in the same situations:thumbsup: Good luck! Tell ya the truth wish I could help!

I just talked to a square baler expert. He told me to pop rivet some metal to it to keep the hay in the baler and go bale with it.

D.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt
I have been reading the tech manual. I think I will tear down the parts one first and learn on it first.

D.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt #9  
I have been reading the tech manual. I think I will tear down the parts one first and learn on it first.

D.

As long as it's whole in the areas coming apart that a very good idea. I say whole only due to if parts are missing you won't get the same experience until you tear into the good baler.

As far as the pop rivet idea, I would weld it. I don't think rivets will hold up as long or as well as weld. I have a friend that I have welded up his baler in a few spots including the area you have a hole. His wasn't as bad as yours though.

Good luck.

/ JD 346 Rebuilt #10  
I just talked to a square baler expert. He told me to pop rivet some metal to it to keep the hay in the baler and go bale with it.

D.

Sounds like a real 'expert'. If it is like a NH baler, some of the plunger bearings can be adjusted to tighten up the plunger slop. Follow the manual, the info there will be better than the local sample you posted.