JD 2755 running too close to hot

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #1  

Red Raider

Cab tractor ('87) pulling bushhog getting too close to hot in 105 degree Texas. Will pull under tree if heat gauge gets close to red and idle til it goes down. New coolant, oil & filters (air). Clean grill, condenser & radiator. Fan belt ok. New thermostat put in last summer. Running in 2nd gear. Have always serviced on schedule. Weekend guy. Bought new in '87, it seems to be running warmer than it used to and I'm concerned. Not leaking or losing coolant. Tks.

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #2  
Did you also service the trans filter at the time of the other changes? What was your mix when you changed coolant? Did the coolant have diesel conditioner in it?

When you cleaned the radiator did you flush the fins good with water or just use air?

When the coolant was changed did you flush the whole system out?

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #3  
After you have done all that, It only leaves a couple things? How about the vane condition on the water pump. I assume it does not have a clutch on the fan? Something in the drive train may be pulling that tractor extra hard. Ken Sweet

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot
JasG,
No on trans. filter. Coolant straight JD- It says do not add water-- just straight.
I assume it doesn't have diesel conditioner. Used air, then water, but only can shoot both from the side, but it looks pretty clear.
Ken, water pump is original. My son in law's relative had a Ford compact tractor running a little hot. They were told water pump had rubber blades that were probably worn. They replaced water pump and it straightened out. I don't know if JD is rubber or metal.
Sounds like ya'll are telling me to replace trans filter and maybe water pump?
Thanks for the good advice.

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #5  
If you used the JD coolant then it does have the coolant conditioner in it.

I would change the trans and if it has a seperate hydraulic filter change that also. Any extra load or drag can make things work harder.

Then after that as Ken posted inspect the water pump.

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #6  
have you replaced the radiator cap?also has the radiator ever been removed? if not it might be time to take it out & take it to a good radiator shop to be cleaned.

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #7  
My bet is your guage is off a bit.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to change the trans. filter & fluid first & new rad. cap. Then, if not better, pull out radiator. It's @ weekend place & I can't get there for another week.

/ JD 2755 running too close to hot #9  
Why not spend a few bucks ($50?) and buy a non-contact infrared thermometer with a laser pointer. See if the darn thing is actually running hot before you start throwing parts at it. Especially the hydraulic fliud and filter; changing them only because of suspected marginally high coolant temps makes absolutely no sense. Most obvious real root cause (from where I sit) is a partially plugged radiator core which would limit heat transfer and coolant flow.

RickB, will do. What areas do you measure to reliably know there is really a hot problem. Best place to get the instrument? Tks.