J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ?

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ? #1  

widetractman

I recently purchased a '97 JD 5500 that has roof cracks which has and is causing water damage to headliner/AC enclosure. I do not want to spend $600 for new roof. Is there any way to fix with fiberglass or JB Weld epoxty without removing. If so how would you prepare the exterior surface area at the crack. Thanks

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ? #2  
This is just one of the repair products I saw. I'm sure your local parts store would have something you could use.

399883.jpg

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ?
Looks like something that might work. But will it adhere ? I dont know what material the roofs are made of ? Are they plastic or fiberglass and if plastic will fiberglass bond. Thanks

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ? #4  
Fiberglass might work have to try it to see. You can clean the surface with pvc pipe cleaner (mek) to aid in bonding to the existing roof. This is the same as the fiberglass hardener though so don't spill it in your resin. You should work a small area with the cleaner as it dries rapidly.

Another thing you can try would be the bumper repair resins kit sold in automotive paint stores. If you have some minor cracks this may fix them up. My guess is that the newer auto bumpers are made from about the same thing as the new plastic fenders and canopies on the tractors.

Thanks for the info. I wish I knew what it was made of.

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ? #6  
Something you might try also and should get a few years out of is shower pan liner. You can buy it in sheet form along with a can of glue for it to install it. This should buy you some time to get a new roof.

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ? #7  
If you lightly sand the area you are going to apply the fiberglass, it should work pretty good. And you might apply a bead of silicone on the inside just for extra protection.

The top is not real bad, 4 or 5 cracks about 4 inches long running from two of the large bolts and the rest from the smaller bolts. To take the roof off to repair from underneath would risk destroying it. I found where a antena hole was drilled on the side and cut some shavings with a pocket knife, under the green paint the roof was solid Black and no fiberglass smell. So what is your guess? ABS or ?. Still concerned what is best to use for repair. Thanks

/ J D 5500 Cab with Cracks-- Fix ? #9  
The top is not real bad, 4 or 5 cracks about 4 inches long running from two of the large bolts and the rest from the smaller bolts. To take the roof off to repair from underneath would risk destroying it. I found where a antena hole was drilled on the side and cut some shavings with a pocket knife, under the green paint the roof was solid Black and no fiberglass smell. So what is your guess? ABS or ?. Still concerned what is best to use for repair. Thanks

Try the bumper repair kit I mentioned above, it is a two part compound that you can mix up and will bond to the ABS. I would burnish the edges of the cracks deeply and then spread the filler and smooth out. After it cures you can sand it smooth and prime, paint.