John Deere 2440 loader

/ John Deere 2440 loader #1  

Steve Strahan

Tractor
john deere 2440
What is the cheapest way to buy and install a front end loader on my 2440

/ John Deere 2440 loader #2  
Watch the farm auctions, craigslist, search online.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #3  
Part of the answer depends upon how the hydraulic system is configured on your 2440.

Do you have the under frame, mid-mount loader SCV's or do you have 2-rear mounted SCV's or a Power Beyond circuit or none of the above...?

If you spend some time looking thru the Internet at: Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder or tractohouse.com or Used Tractors and Farm Machinery for sale by Fastline you'll have a good (or better) idea of compatible loader models that will fit your 2440.

From there; you can start digging for prices and availability.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ John Deere 2440 loader #4  
I had decided on a JD 245 loader for my JD 2030. I spent almost a year searching (before I had internet). When I did find one it had an Independent Valve with a cable operated joystick. I had to get a tee fitting from the dealer for supply and a ported trans oil filter cover for the return. My rear SCV were not used, I'll bet your 2440 is the same. The dealer was very helpful as far as how hook up the hydraulics and parts printed out pictures that showed how to bolt the mounts on.

Years later (after I got internet) eBay was my source for an operators manual.

The seller had lost all the mounting hardware, but everything was available from the dealer. Cost about three times what I guessed when I made the deal to buy the loader. It cost just over 1/2 of the price of a new one.

I picked the 245 because I wanted to be able to remove the complete loader, which I do a lot.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #5  
I picked the 245 because I wanted to be able to remove the complete loader, which I do a lot.

I also have a 245 loader on a 2755 tractor. I like the loader and I particularly like the fact that I can take it off when I use the tractor for mowing.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #6  
I bought and installed a JD146 loader on a 2440 of mine last summer. It was fairly simple as long as you have a safe way to hoist the loader. I just used an engine block hoist and drove the tractor under. I think I paid $3000 for the loader.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #7  
the smart money is on a new loader installed on your tractor.because old loaders have most likely seen alot of use.an they may have been welded on a few times.no need in buying a headache.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #8  
the smart money is on a new loader installed on your tractor.because old loaders have most likely seen alot of use.an they may have been welded on a few times.no need in buying a headache.

Have you priced a new loader lately? If required $2000-$3000 over used price will buy a lot of cyl kits and welding rods to repair a used loader.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #9  
Steve Strahan
As stated mounting a loader on a 2440 is relatively easy. Just install a tee in line on pressure control valve supplying oil to scv or if no scv just remove plug in rear of PCV. A ported hyd filter cover can be purchased or drill and tap your old one. if you elect to drill and tap it's best to angle fitting away from filter. If you do buy a used loader be sure and get a closed-center valve.

/ John Deere 2440 loader #10  
There's a JD 175 Loader with the correct mounts on MachineFinder for $2000
Does not have any valve, operated from the rear SCVs, you need two SCVs.