Tractor for snow blowing driveways

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #1  

wapam

I have a small lawn maintenance and snow plowing business and I am thinking about switching from a truck/plow to a tractor/blower to clear driveways.

Looking for opinions on model, HP, transmission, 2wd VS 4wd, blower size, etc.

Thank you in advance.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #2  
go with 4 wheel drive. I also have a tractor that's just 2 wheel drive and i am always getting stuck. And that's with weights, chains, and a hard sims cab. We bought a kubota 4 wheel drive this year and no issues at all.

With all the backing up i would go with a hydro tranny.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #3  
I have a small lawn maintenance and snow plowing business and I am thinking about switching from a truck/plow to a tractor/blower to clear driveways.

Thank you in advance.
I like the heated cab of the truck better.:)

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #4  
I'd make sure the unit has 4WD and a hydro trans for that kind of work. Also, if you're not going to mow turf lawns with this rig in the summer months, get R1 tires for traction.

I suggest you ask the moderator to move this post to the JD buying/operating forum as you'll probably get more replies than in the AG forum it's currently in.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #5  
Also agree w/4wd.
Seems 4 or 5 plus inches of wet snow takes 2wd longer also more spinning plus body english even on slight slope,and better chance of getting stuck..seen my neighbor number times go thru this action. :(

Depending on how long the driveways,I would check out least 20hp,hydo,blower to match tractor..in your case time is money.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #6  

Thank you in advance.

:welcome:

Answer might depend on what you plan to haul this tractor with. A truck/plow will move quickly from job to job. A tractor in the 35-40 HP class will do a great job but will likely not move as fast and need a truck/trailer to move it. Or go with a smaller but adequate lawn tractor 4wd that would haul on a landscape 12' trailer but need an SUV or pickup to pull it.

To help you, need more info.

But I'd suggest there are some good used Deere like the X595 with a 47" blower, or newer (didn't say you would buy new or not) would do the job well. The hydrostatic (HST) tranny's are bullet proof and a good way to go.
If also doing sidewalks then the 47" blower should be a good size. If also wanting to do parking lots, then bigger will be better. What is your budget?

More info please.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #7  
How many driveway are we talking? A truck with a plow will be faster unless you get into deep snow, even with 100 Hp 4wd tractor. I have used both and a truck is just so much faster I wouldn't think it would pay to use a tractor.

The only way I would try it is if my driveways were all close together, and have a loader mount plow on the front and blower on the back. Then I would want at least 80 hp, 100 would be better with a 8' twin auger blower.

Even with a 100 hp tractor 8-10 inches of heavy wet snow I have been able to handle it better with a truck. You also have to be careful of where you blow. These can launch stone a good distance.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways
I would be in the range of 20 - 30 driveways, maybe more depending on how things go.

My main reason for wanting a blower is dealing with a lot of snow and getting rid of the big piles of snow next to the driveway(s). You can only push the snow so far with a plow.

We aren't even through December and are running out of places to put snow.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #9  
I think that is too many to do with a blower and will take too long. Are you planning on driving from job to job? A tractor without chains in the winter doesn't drive well on bad roads, with chains you need to go slow. If you plan on hauling the tractor, figure at least 5 minute per job to load and chain the tractor.

Most guys I know that plow when they run out of places to push hire a person with a loader, backhoe, or farm tractor with a huge blower to make more room/stock pile the snow.

I only know 1 person years ago that used a blower. He was a farmer next to a small village and had 120-130 Hp tractor with at least an 8' blower. Even the loader mount snow blowers have a engine that just drives the blower due to it takes so much power to drive these with any speed. There was even a company that made a pickup truck blower system. I don't think they are still around. The blower was heavy for a truck and the machine had to be driven by an engine in the pickup bed.

I also don't think a CUT tractor with either a front or rear blower will do well with snow that has been plowed into piles. I have done this with a large farm tractors and it is hard on these large machines. Once you push into a pile you have made some ice, and if it warms up then freezes it's even worse. I just go as slow at the tractor will go, and take extra shear pins.

/ Tractor for snow blowing driveways #10  
Truck mounted snowblower.

I used to see these at school in northern michigan all the time. I have no idea why they are not more popular.

Attachments

• snowblower02.jpg
    snowblower02.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 962