John Deere 820

/ John Deere 820
Thanks Steve. I have the number 2 handle. If I move that handle toward the rear that handle will touch the one I was trying to move. The handle I was trying to move is much larger.

The pto handle will cause the pto shaft to move if I move it forward. However the shaft does not move very fast it rotates very slow.

/ John Deere 820 #32  
Try adjusting the pedal play on the clutch, according to the manual it should have 1 inch of play and not less than 1/2 inch.

/ John Deere 820
My manual came in today and I tried the clutch adjustments. It did not help any. I guess the next step is to break the tractor down and check the pto clutch. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than the break down?

/ John Deere 820 #34  
I would look into buying the parts or having the money set aside first if it may be an issue. I would also check on this at NAPA and do some scouting around to get the best price. I wouldn't split the tractor until I either had the parts or had them located, nothing worse than having your tractor opened up for a long interval.

I don't have a service manual, if this is what you purchased then did it have any info about a pto clutch adjustment?

/ John Deere 820
The manual I got is a shop manual. I would not even think of trying to break the tractor apart. I wouldn't know what I was looking at of what I should be looking for. I will have to save my money and have someone that knows what they are doing to do the job.

I talked to the John Deere dealer and they want $3000.00 to fix it. I thought that was kind of steep.

/ John Deere 820 #36  
Well at least you have it up and operating, I would still change the hydraulic fluid if you haven't done so. Then use it for boxblade work and other tasks that do not require the pto in the meantime. I say this because I would wan't to know if everything else is in good shape before spending the money on the repairs. My point in all of this is you need to figure out what the entire tractor needs to fix up and what the costs will be. Then start comparing and get an idea of what is practical and feasible to do.

/ John Deere 820
I have changed the fluid and the filter. I will use and see what happens. I want to thank you for all of your help and guidence.

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

/ John Deere 820
I found the problem on why the pto does not work. The groove pin that goes into the arm is broken. Does anyone know how to get the pin out? I have tried plyers and vise grips but no luck getting it out.

TIA

/ John Deere 820 #39  
Not sure which arm you are referring to, can you be more specific?

If what you are talking about is a roll pin, I usually drive these out with a flat round punch of the proper diameter to match the hole. If it is mushroomed you may need to saw this flush with the surface first then use the punch.

/ John Deere 820
This is the pto lever that engages the pto. The groove pin that goes through the arm is broken. The pto lever just slides around on the shaft. I removed the rockshaft housing and I can see the pin. When I try pull it out it won't move.

Attachments

• groove.JPG
    groove.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 320
Last edited: