John Deere 820

/ John Deere 820 #1  

cannedman

Tractor
John Deere 820
Hello and very Merry Christmas to everyone.

I have a John Deere 820 tractor SN 100295L that my uncle gave me. The tractor looks to be in good shape. The big problem is the tractor has not been started in 4 or 5 years. The battery is missing and I have no manuals. I have been told it is a 12 volt system. If anyone knows or what I should do before I even try to start the tractor. Any suggestions I know nothing about tractors but I am willing to learn. I do not have the money to take it to a dealer and have him go through it.

TIA

/ John Deere 820 #2  
Do you have the full 13 digit number or is this an old 2 cylinder?

/ John Deere 820 #3  
I would start off by changing the oil, oil filter, draining the fuel tank there is a petcock beneath the tank and add fresh fuel. I would change the fuel filters and check the air filter and make sure there are no nests inside here. Check the antifreeze coolant to make sure it is full.

A safe route in my opinion is to remove the injectors and fog the cylinders squirting some fogging oil in and let it set for a few days. I would give it a small squirt in each cylinder two or three days in a row. give the oil time to loosen any thing up.

I would then install a good battery and check the cables and wires too. Next I would try to see if it will turn over if it does let it turn for 20 to 30 seconds to clear the cylinders. Replace the injectors and bleed the air from the lines.

If it smokes while cranking but doesn't fire up you may need to use starting fluid. There is a starting fluid injection point on most of these tractors located just below the right bottom corner of the dash, should have a knurled cap with a short chain over it. While cranking over the engine add a small burst of ether and it should fire off, you may need to repeat this but use the ether as sparingly as possible. If it will run but is rough you may need to bleed the air from the fuel lines again to smooth it out.

Carefully monitor the oil pressure, temperature and watch for leaks and other problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Here are some pics of my 820

/ John Deere 820
Thank you so much. I will post my progress.

/ John Deere 820 #6  
I do have an owners manual and parts book for this tractor if you need more info.

/ John Deere 820
Steve,

I ordered a service manual for the tractor they said it would take 9 to 14 days to get it.

I bought the oil filter, fuel filter and hydraulic filter. I found the oil filter without any problems but I cannot find the fuel filter and the hydraulic filter.

I drained the oil and the old fuel and refilled with new. I decided I would see if the tractor would start. The temp here today was 32 so I used some starting fluid and it fired on the first crank. The tractor ran for about 4 minutes with all pressure and temp good, smoked like a freight train. After about 4 minutes it started missing and finally shut down. It acts like it is not getting any fuel. Is it possible that there could be air in the lines and if so how do you bleed them?

Sorry for all the questions but I have really enjoyed working on the tractor today.

Thanks again for all of your help. Have a great day.

Leonard

/ John Deere 820 #8  
NAPA auto parts should have the two fuel filters you need, change these filters and the orings that go with them. Use the small lever on the fuel pump to prime the filters there is a small bleeder knob on top of the secondary fuel filter to bleed the air from these filters.

On my 820 the fuel filters with glass sediment bowls are on the right hand side of the engine as well as the small primary fuel pump. If you look at the first picture I posted the filters are directly above the starter.

Not sure what you mean, you can't locate the fuel filters physically on the tractor or you cant find them at the store?

There may be two types of fuel filter set ups later tractors used a small box shaped fuel filter that was about the dimensions of two packs of cigarettes stacked together, most of these tractors had two round filters about 3.5 " diameter and about 3" tall.

Can you post a pic of your tractor with the right side of the engine?

/ John Deere 820
I could not locate the fuel filters on the tractor. The picture you posted showed me what I am looking for. On my tractor they had been painted over.

Do you know where the hydraulic filter is located on the tractor. I want to change that one also?

Thanks.

Leonard

/ John Deere 820 #10  
I would change the filter as well as the hydraulic oil at the same time. Included are pics of the housing for the filter. Do this with the 3pt lift arms in the lowered position.

Very important to do this, while the oil may seem expensive, this will reduce problems in the long run. I would make sure you get the engine up and running first then change this hyd oil and fresh antifreeze solution too.

Pictures from my manual which is 35 years old, sorry about the quality but the second one is much better.