JD 1050 PTO Problem

/ JD 1050 PTO Problem #1  

cadamsjr

Tractor
John Deere 1050
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I joined in hopes of getting some help with my 1986 JD 1050 4x4 light utility tractor. I've been having problems getting the PTO to engage and in order to do so I have to idle the tractor down very low or the best method is to shut it off and put the pto in gear and then crank the tractor. That has worked for me for a while now but now the problem has compounded. I now cannot get the PTO to disengage....it's like the lever has no friction to it at all. There is a switch at the base of the lever and I wonder if this has anything to do with any of this. Please help if you can! Thanks to all!

/ JD 1050 PTO Problem #2  
I think the switch is a neutral safety start switch so engine can't be started with pto engaged.

Have you checked free travel on clutch pedal?

/ JD 1050 PTO Problem
Thanks Jim, and if that is true it must not be working as that is how I've been cranking the tractor with the PTO engaged! At present I can't get the PTO disengaged! Yes I have check the adjustment of the clutch pedal and than does no good! Any other suggestions?

/ JD 1050 PTO Problem
I'm also new to this forum and hopefully creating this tread correctly!

/ JD 1050 PTO Problem #5  
Don't worry about posting correctly as everyone has to learn from experience. After viewing the parts schematics it shows a fork (part # CH11948) that could have failed or the gear that shifts pto. Parts schematic also lists a pto interlock that has electrical switches.