Starting a 3140/2940

/ Starting a 3140/2940 #1  

Interlaux

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4610 eHydro w/ 460 FEL, JD 3140 w/GB 660 FEL
Hey Gang - just got the 3140 (pics posted!) and the starter switch is a little confusing - and maybe wore out.
On these early 80's Deere's does the switch push in for glow plugs? or to start? I have to kinda jiggle it around - once I hear it click the starter cranks it fine but its one of those hold your mouth right things.

I'm headed out now to start it for the 1st time today and its a frigid for us low 30s.

I've looked and looked for a block heater plug any tips where to look? should it have one?

I'm getting ready to order my 1st batch of stuff for her; an ops manual and the switch so far - I'm going to get the tech manual but hopefully a little later when I need it - heck maybe I'll never need it:)

Thanks for any help

/ Starting a 3140/2940 #2  
now it may not have a block heater on it.

/ Starting a 3140/2940 #3  
Interlaux
It could have a 110V tank heater if equipped with one. Or it could have a 220V element heater and either one would be on LH side of engine.

No glow plugs but "thermostart" starting aid which would be activated by ignition switch.

/ Starting a 3140/2940 #4  
I've seen some with an ether injection, there would be a small canister on the side of the block. The one I saw I believe had a button to push once you started cranking. You could also add a block heater or an inline heater.

It sounds like you have a loose or corroded connection if you have to wiggle the key.

/ Starting a 3140/2940
Found the thermostart ( air heater on the inlet side of the engine) that our sage friend from next door at the Flats pointed out.
Thanks Jim!!

but...

does anyone know for sure if the euro versions of these were 24V?? this connector has "24V" on it and it seems like I have heard something else about 24V systems - cant wait for my manual. The heater is not connected but I'm sure if you push the switch in it should fire the heater - just like my 4610.

I'm thinking the starter is a little weak - need to clean up the grounds on both batteries - it came with two new looking big boy batteries.

if its cold you have to "hit it " multiple times to kick - I don't hear a "click"
above mid 40's and she hits right up.

no worries when I use her I'll wish it was only 40F or at least 40 away from 40

sorry my pics of the inline heater did not turn out - I'm calling it the cameras fault:D

/ Starting a 3140/2940 #6  
Found the thermostart
does anyone know for sure if the euro versions of these were 24V?? this connector has "24V" on it and it seems like I have heard something else about 24V systems - cant wait for my manual.

Read my post as it lists a 220/240 volt heater.