4020 what does this do?

/ 4020 what does this do? #11  
We had a 3020 with a mid pto. We had a 9' mid mount cycle mower. I have never seen another.

Dan
Interesting you say that Dan as my uncle has a 2020 with a side mount cycle mower and we were just talking the other day that neither of us has seen one on a John Deere of that era.

/ 4020 what does this do? #12  
As said ... My neighbor says his newer model JD has a simple removeable shaft, one end 6 spline and the other 21 spline all he does is pull it out rotate it and stick it back in with the end that he needs on the outside ... now listen thats what he says.

Newer JD tractors than the 20 series(3020/4020) have reversible pto shafts. On 20 series the shafts require swapping to change pto speeds and spline numbers.

/ 4020 what does this do? #13  
I added an arrow to the splined shaft (perhaps I should have mentioned it has a coating of oil/grease plus many years worth of fuzz on it).

He had mentioned that it has a forward-facing PTO as well as the regular rear-facing one. Is the stub for the forward-facing one?

All 3020/4020's had a mid-pto shaft that only operated at 1000 rpm's. To swap stub shafts one needs to nose tractor in a ditch(to limit hyd oil lose) pop out snap ring,pull shaft ,insert other shaft and re-install snap ring.

/ 4020 what does this do? #15  
Yep... the 1000 PTO shaft in storage position... Your lucky it's still there, most were lost or removed and never replaced. ...and they included such a nice storage placement

I hope on the tractors you've seen them missing that they plugged the hole to keep out dirt as it opens into diff housing.

/ 4020 what does this do? #16  
Mid PTO was an option on my 2030. You can see where the engagement lever would mount, looks like a freeze plug in the shaft hole. There is a bearing suppport at the forward end of the PTO shaft that gets replaced when the mid PTO is optioned and the mid shaft then extends forward with a different bearing support.

/ 4020 what does this do? #18  
20, 30, 40 and I think even the 50 series all had to have 2 shafts. It was also a "wet socket", so oil would come out at a good rate while shaft was out.

A friend of mine also has a 4020 with the mid PTO. Never seen any attachments for it.

/ 4020 what does this do? #19  
Alright Brothers let me make sure I've got this right.

when I pull the 21 spline out of my 3140 (pic att.) hydro fluid will come out so I need to park nose down??

Thanks again:drink:

Attachments

• P2050122.JPG
    P2050122.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 863
   / 4020 what does this do? #20  
Alright Brothers let me make sure I've got this right.

when I pull the 21 spline out of my 3140 (pic att.) hydro fluid will come out so I need to park nose down??

Thanks again:drink:

No. Fluid will not come out from where you have the arrow. If you pull the shaft that is in the postion that it turns, fluid will flow out.

So to that point when you want to change from one to the other. Park the tractor facing down hill. Get the shaft out of the storage position, pull the snap ring on the shaft being used. Pick up the shaft your going to install with 1 hand, then remove the one with the other hand and slide in the one you want to use. If you are quick you will only loose a small amount of fluid (less than a quart). I would also do this when the tractor is cold. Hot fluid can burn and flows faster.