4020 what does this do?

/ 4020 what does this do? #1  

Roonabeck

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510 2wd, Kubota BX1860
I was looking at my dad's 4020 (formerly his dad's 4020) and asked him what this is -- it appears to sit on top of the rear PTO guard, and has a splined shaft sticking out perpendicular to the PTO shaft. His response was "we never used that." Perhaps someone here knows what it is and what it is for?

Attachments

• IMG_4203.JPG
    IMG_4203.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_4202.JPG
    IMG_4202.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 779
   / 4020 what does this do? #2  
I can't really tell from your photo's but from your description it's probably the 1000 rpm (21 spline) pto stub shaft located in it's storage place if the 540 rpm(6 spline)pto stub shaft is pointing rearward.

/ 4020 what does this do?
I added an arrow to the splined shaft (perhaps I should have mentioned it has a coating of oil/grease plus many years worth of fuzz on it).

He had mentioned that it has a forward-facing PTO as well as the regular rear-facing one. Is the stub for the forward-facing one?

Attachments

• IMG_4200_arrow.jpg
    IMG_4200_arrow.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 678
   / 4020 what does this do? #4  
I can't really tell from your photo's but from your description it's probably the 1000 rpm (21 spline) pto stub shaft located in it's storage place if the 540 rpm(6 spline)pto stub shaft is pointing rearward.

Winner winner chicken dinner.:thumbsup:

/ 4020 what does this do? #5  
I've never seen a forward shaft on a 4020. In order to run something that is meant for a thousand rpm you take a pair of pliers and squeeze the ring around the shaft so that you can slide them out, they are designed with diferent gears at diferent positions so that when swapped they do what they were intended to do, either run at 540 or 1000. I have a 718 nh harvester that has the front yoke switched to fit a 1000 rpm shaft. We run it with a higher hp tractor at a lower idle so it runs slightly quicker, we get a finer chop that way, we switch these pto stubs frequently because of that reason.

/ 4020 what does this do? #6  
definitely 1000 rpm stub shaft in it's stowed position.

/ 4020 what does this do?
Thanks, I'll have to look at how the two stubs interchange sometime when I'm home. I don't think my grandfather's operation ever used anything 1000rpm -- the 4020 spent most of its life plowing and discing. The only thing my father still uses the PTO for is a bush hog. The only other PTO implements I recall were a corn picker, silage chopper, wagon, and blower, and I don't remember if the 4020 was used for those.

/ 4020 what does this do? #8  
Yep... the 1000 PTO shaft in storage position... Your lucky it's still there, most were lost or removed and never replaced. ...and they included such a nice storage placement

/ 4020 what does this do? #9  
We had a 3020 with a mid pto. We had a 9' mid mount cycle mower. I have never seen another.

Dan

/ 4020 what does this do? #10  
Yep... the 1000 PTO shaft in storage position... Your lucky it's still there, most were lost or removed and never replaced. ...and they included such a nice storage placement

As said ... My neighbor says his newer model JD has a simple removeable shaft, one end 6 spline and the other 21 spline all he does is pull it out rotate it and stick it back in with the end that he needs on the outside ... now listen thats what he says.