John Deere 5420 problem

/ John Deere 5420 problem #11  
i would not worry about parking on a hill. it's placing the lever in park,while the tractor is moving,that breaks it.

/ John Deere 5420 problem #12  
I think they recommend putting the machine in neutral (besides park) before exiting the seat.

/ John Deere 5420 problem
My 5420 has a sinc/shuttle transmission that has a forward, neutral, reverse, or park selection. This means you can't put it in neutral and park at the same time.

/ John Deere 5420 problem #14  
My 5420 has a sinc/shuttle transmission that has a forward, neutral, reverse, or park selection. This means you can't put it in neutral and park at the same time.

I meant putting the gear selector between 1st and 2nd, or the A,B,C selector inbetween gears and put the shuttle in park before exiting with motor running.

/ John Deere 5420 problem
Hi Kyle,
That's a great idea which I intend to start doing immediately! Thanks for the tip. I guess I assumed when I put the transmission in park, the tractor automatically went into neutral.
Thanks again!

/ John Deere 5420 problem #17  
On the 5x10 and 5X20, I know there is no parking brake only the park on gear shift level. I have read a few people breaking the park pawl, when stopped on a good sloop after taking their foot off the parks the tractor moves back a little and breaks the pawl. With the tractor OFF I have heard what some people do is put it in gear range A and in first gear saying that the tractor will slide if it does move. If you have MFWD and you think you broke the park pawl be careful, there is not much room in the transmission and you can mess up the MFWD.

/ John Deere 5420 problem #18  
jd 5210 are you sure its parking on a hill that's breaking them.the ones i know of were broke by pulling the lever in park while the tractor was moving.i have older jd models that have over 15,000 hrs with no park problem. they have been parked on hills so steep that you have to yank it to get it out of park.that includes my 5510.but it only has a little over 3500 hrs.anyway keep up the good posts ,i really like the links you have posted before.

/ John Deere 5420 problem #19  
Cowski, I shared an e-mail with a person about a year ago that interestingly has a 5510. He said that he broke his park pawl parking on a hill. He said he was stop, but when he took his foot off the brake the tractor rolled back a little and that is when it broke. My feeling it was the rolling back that broke it, that was point that I was trying to make.
My comment was just to make people aware to be careful as it is expensive to repair it.

/ John Deere 5420 problem #20  
john deere had several pip recalls on the park pawl problem yours might have missed the update