Fuse box/ fuse issue (820)

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #1  

BadAssRX7

Tractor
John Deere 820
ok long story short... 820 3cyl has issues with getting the lights to work. I have good wiring and bulbs the issue is in the fuse box. I can pull the fuses out and sand the flat tabs that contact the fuse and clean the fuses tips also and some times i can get the lights to work. the contacts dont look bad i mean theres no crostion in there just looks like oxidation. Ive even cleaned it up and coated the contact areas with dieelectric grease and still have issues. Anybody else have issues like this? oh what "type" of fuse is that plastic pointed kind that my 820 has? they are junk if you ask me. Anybody changed to a diffrent type?

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #2  
IIRC the fuses are the same type that a Volkswagen bug used. At least they're cheap in today's market. You could wire around fuse box with an inline type fuse.

Part Number: 57M7366
Part Price: 0.50 USD
Description: FUSE, CARTRIDGE TYPE, TAPERED TUBE

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #3  
Have you chkd the connections, the grounds, the bulb sockets ?

If you have cleaned up the fuse panel and all loks good then start on the connections, especially the grounds where they connect to the frame or common point.

If all wiring is in good condition, all sockets and bulbs are OK then think about taking a second look at the Fuse Panel, may have more problems in the rear of it, i.e. corrosion, bad connections.

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820)
Have you chkd the connections, the grounds, the bulb sockets ?

If you have cleaned up the fuse panel and all loks good then start on the connections, especially the grounds where they connect to the frame or common point.

If all wiring is in good condition, all sockets and bulbs are OK then think about taking a second look at the Fuse Panel, may have more problems in the rear of it, i.e. corrosion, bad connections.

i know the problem is in the fuse panel. after i clean the fuses and the tabs that they sit on/in i get the lights to work. im just sick and tired of having to mess with it. id hate to get stuck with out lights to see by if i had to have them.

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #5  
i know the problem is in the fuse panel. after i clean the fuses and the tabs that they sit on/in i get the lights to work. im just sick and tired of having to mess with it. id hate to get stuck with out lights to see by if i had to have them.

Not sure how far you want to go or if you are thinking the whole panel.
Blue Seas makes a great fuse panel, not a direct replacement but a good one, Water-Ressitant.
Maybe just time to replace it.

This is one of theirs:

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

This is the main site:

http://bluesea.com/

Or as was stated before by pass the fuse panel with an In-Line fuse holder.

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #6  
When I reworked my 820 I installed inline fuse holders which are accessible through the battery lid. I am not a purist and the Blue Seas stuff is good too, I use this type for my boat. I wasn't impressed with the OEM fuse holder and fuses.

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #7  
personally I would jumped accross the fuse WHILE its not working, and if it fires up then you KNOW its the fuse acting up. then id rewire a flat blade fuse in its place.
thats just my 2¢ worth :thumbsup:

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820)
I like the blade fuse box, looks very well built. I know that when i have issues with lights not turning on that i can remove the fuses andhit the tab and the fuse contact areas with 800 sandpaper and then i get working lights. its just a real pain in the butt to deal with.

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #9  
Did you try dielectric grease on the fuse to keep the contacts clean. Might just be a cheap fix

/ Fuse box/ fuse issue (820) #10  
Did you try dielectric grease on the fuse to keep the contacts clean. Might just be a cheap fix

I did try dielectric grease years ago but found the contacts were simply weak.

Realize these are 35 year old tractors.