JD 790 Stopped Running

/ JD 790 Stopped Running #1  

brazbrat

Good morning,
Yesterday I was carrying a load of dirt up my hill when my JD 790 went quiet.
I checked the fuel, oil and water. I tried restarting the tractor, it will turn over but it won't fire up.

The tractor is 4 years old with 175 hours.

Thanks

/ JD 790 Stopped Running #2  
Did you check for plugged fuel filters, fuses or safety switch operation?:)

/ JD 790 Stopped Running #3  
Since you were using it at the time it stopped it sounds like the fuel filter is plugged and stopped fuel flow. Another cause could be a plugged air filter. When was the last time they were replaced?

/ JD 790 Stopped Running
I checked the fuses and air filters earlier this morning.
I will replace the fuel filter later today and try again.

Thanks!

/ JD 790 Stopped Running
George,
I replaced the air filter last summer along with the oil and filter.

I have never replaced the fuel filter, I guess it's time.
Is their any special proceedures for replacing the fuel filter?

Thanks

/ JD 790 Stopped Running #6  
Not familiar where your 790 filter is. On my tractor its in the back about a foot under the fuel tank. I change mine 1x per year. Shut off fuel valve, remove and replace filter, open valve, open my bleeder screw on the filter housing to let air out and turn my key on a few times to cycle the fuel pump to refill. Yours may be different. The owners manual should tell you how to do it if you have one.

/ JD 790 Stopped Running
The 790's fuel filter is located near the fuel pump above the fuel strainer and shut-off valve. I'll get the proceedure when I pick up the filter at the JD dealer.

Thanks

/ JD 790 Stopped Running
I'm heading to the JD parts store to pick up the filter.
I'll let you all know how it goes this afternoon.

Thanks

/ JD 790 Stopped Running #9  
Don't forget to check the fuel shut-off! Last summer I was driving my 790 around the edge of a field at the farm, just died! I looked it all over, found nothing wrong. It would start & run for 5 seconds or less at a time. I went after the pickup & trailer, got it loaded a couple feet at a time. Called the area dealer & took it to them that afternoon. Turned out that apparently a sprout had hit the fuel shut-off, turning it nearly off. :eek: ~~ grnspot

/ JD 790 Stopped Running
I replaced the filter, cleaned the strainer, checked the fuel cut-off.
The tractor still won't start. I disconnected the fuel line feeding the filter, fuel is pumping out. It is apparently not making its way to the engine.