john deere 5400 steering

/ john deere 5400 steering #1  

reinkdl1

Tractor
john deere 5400
I just purchased a 5400 with 3200 hours and front wheel assist. I drove it to my sons place which is about 10 miles.

On the way I noticed that the JD logo was upside down and the steering knob was at the bottom of the steering wheel. As I continued to drive I looked down and the logo was upright and the knob was at the top. During the ten mile drive the steering wheel went a full 2.5 revolutions.

The steering seems tight and any small movement of the steering wheel moves the front wheels. I didn't notice any looseness in the steering wheel and the tractor did not seem to have a tendancy to drift.

I assume this is probably 100% hydraulic steering and that something in the positions sensing area is slipping.

Is this a dangerous situation or is it nothing to worry about? What would it take to fix it?

/ john deere 5400 steering #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Everything is fine...it's just an anomoly of hydrostatic steering. There is very slight internal leakage of the orbital (steering) valve-even new tractors do this.

/ john deere 5400 steering
Thanks, I feel better now. I thought it had something to do with a small leakage somewhere but wasn't sure.

/ john deere 5400 steering #4  
I have a 5400 JD with front wheel assist. My steering cylinder is leaking from both sides, I purchased a seal kit and am about to tear it apart to rebuild it have questions where to begin disassembling the steering linkage. Is there a special tool used to loosen the cylinder rod from the self aligning nut?
Thanks

/ john deere 5400 steering #5  
A lot of times one can smack the steering arm where tie rod end fits in while prying with a bar and tie rod end bolt will pop out of steering arm.

/ john deere 5400 steering #6  
I have a 5400 JD with front wheel assist. My steering cylinder is leaking from both sides, I purchased a seal kit and am about to tear it apart to rebuild it have questions where to begin disassembling the steering linkage. Is there a special tool used to loosen the cylinder rod from the self aligning nut?
Thanks

Replied in the new thread you started.