John deere 6400 overheaing

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #1  

Txharvester

Tractor
John Deere 6400
My JD 6400 tends to get hot in the afternoons when the outside temp gets hot. Im am using a baler, but I blow out screens and radiator at least twice a day which seems to help for a short time. I have noticed that when I turn my ac off, the temp immediately drops. I thought that was strange for temp to drop like that. This makes me wonder if it's really getting that hot. Any suggestions? Thanks

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #2  
The reason the temp goes lower when you turn the ac off is because the condenser is not being used which generates heat from running the ac. The heat transfers from the condensor to the radiator. I have a few questions first is do you service your engine with coolant because well water is bad if that's what you use. The minerals in the water build up inside the radiator not allowing it to flow. I would remove the top radiator hose and try to inspect the inside of the radiator. Next is does the tractor have a fan clutch, the way I check them is to get the tractor hot and see how much resistance it takes to turn, if it spins easy that's no good

/ John deere 6400 overheaing
Yes, I have put well water in it. If it look bad would a flush be helpful or is it more serious. I'll try the fan clutch next time I'm out. Thanks

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #4  
I would inspect the inside if its possible some radiator tanks have inside baffle that don't allow you to see the inner core. The best bet would be to remove the radiator and have it cleaned at a radiator shop if you have one near it shouldn't cost more than a 100 bucks to have done. Never use well water only distilled or pre mixed in my opinion the John Deer Coolguard is the best. If you own a non contact infrared heat thermometer you can check the radiator while its hot, you want to see no less than a 50 degree f. Difference between the top and bottom tank the bottom being the cooler.

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #5  
My JD 6400 tends to get hot in the afternoons when the outside temp gets hot. Im am using a baler, but I blow out screens and radiator at least twice a day which seems to help for a short time. I have noticed that when I turn my ac off, the temp immediately drops. I thought that was strange for temp to drop like that. This makes me wonder if it's really getting that hot. Any suggestions? Thanks

As stated by the other poster turning off the AC will reduce the temperature at the condensor air side outlet and that will allow the radiator to get cooler air and thus cool the coolant. Has this hapened before in hot weather? Make sur e your water pump drive belt is tight, check your lower hose with the engine at high rpm's to make sure it isn't collapsing. Check the thermostat to make sure it is the correct one and that it's working properly. Make sure the radiator cap is the correctpressure and is working properly. if you can't get it tested, replace it. Finally, make sure that your air cleaner is not clogged because that can cause high peak tempertures in the cylinders and increase the heat load on the engine. It's just as important to have a clean airfilter on a diesel as it is to have a clean radiator.

Yes, Jerry it has been doing it for a while. Thanks for the tips.

Ok, yesterday I noticed that the temperature gauge increased when I turned on the lights. This leads me to believe that their is an electrical or voltage problem. Any ideas?

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #8  
take the tractor into the shop.your getting prob is gonna be hard to find.1 last thing to check is the therastate it might be sticking.an your rd could need flushing out.

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #9  
i took a water pump off of one 6410 and the impeller had come off.it was turning some because it run a while before it got hot.do not know how to check on that without taking the pump off.

/ John deere 6400 overheaing #10  
if you think its elec fault check earth strap from engine to cab i have seen a few loose which caused temp gauge read high