John deere 6400 rough starting

/ John deere 6400 rough starting #1  

Txharvester

Tractor
John Deere 6400
My John Deere 6400 runs real rough and often dies when u first start it. It smokes pretty bad also when it doing it. It always clears up and runs fine the rest of the day. Any ideas?

/ John deere 6400 rough starting #2  
Most likely fuel is draining back to tank when engine isn't running. Hole in fuel line or bad check valve. I think I've read about deteriorating rubber fuel lines on the newer JD tractors.

/ John deere 6400 rough starting #3  
You need to change out the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter. My 6400 would not start until I bled air out of the fuel filter. Found out the fuel line had deteriorated and had fuel seeping out. Changing out the fuel line solved the problem.

/ John deere 6400 rough starting
Thanks for your help, it was a bad fuel line.

/ John deere 6400 rough starting #5  
My JD 6400D has starting problems; I replaced the starter since it seemed bad. But to no advantage. The battery is brand new and charged. When I turn the key to start, sometimes I get no response. If I keep playing with the ignition long enough I can finally get it to start. But it acts like the solenoid or starter is bad which are brand new. Any ideas?
John

/ John deere 6400 rough starting #6  
Check to be sure the starter relay(parts key #1) is operating properly and doesn't have a loose wire on a terminal. I suppose you have checked/cleaned/tightened ALL FOUR battery cable connections??

Attachments

• LX014665_______UN01JUL96.gif
    LX014665_______UN01JUL96.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 420
   / John deere 6400 rough starting #7  
Thanks. I will check that out. Yes battery terminals are clean n tight.