John Deere 2020 losing power

/ John Deere 2020 losing power #1  

Maury Atkins

Tractor
John Deere 2020
I have a JD 2020 (bought last year) and a 10 ft bushhog. Just in the last few days it has started losing power and even shutting off after about 10-20 minutes under full load. Runs perfectly before then.

I have already checked/replaced the fuel filter and bled the lines (it needed changing badly). Also earlier found an obstruction in the air intake-part of a bird nest--got that all clean and cleaned the air filter sediment bowl and added new oil (oil bath type).

After talking with the dealer today, i blew out the bypass line from the injector pump to the tank-but it didnt seem obstructed. Also, because it seemed to be running a little hot ( but not in the red at all), i replaced the thermostat and flushed the cooling system.

After all that, took it back out and ran perfectly under load till about 10 minutes into it and then started sputtering, losing power, and eventually shut down. No signs of overheating or any other visible red flags.

I am at a loss--anybody have any suggestions?

/ John Deere 2020 losing power #2  
Welcome to TBN, Maury. Sure sounds like a fuel problem to me. Do a search here on the Deere forum (might be in Owner/operating section) regarding the 20 series tractors.

IIRC - ClemBert posted a real good thread on his solution to a fuel delivery problem.

AKfish

/ John Deere 2020 losing power #3  
You stated you blew out the return line but did you check the return line fitting for an obstruction?? The fitting has a glass ball check valve that has a history of being plugged by debris from a deteriorating inj pump governor drive ring. Simple test is loosen both screws on inj pump timing window. This will relieve built up pressure inside pump allowing it to pump fuel. If engine runs for a longer time then check fitting.

/ John Deere 2020 losing power #4  
I have a JD 2020 (bought last year) and a 10 ft bushhog. Just in the last few days it has started losing power and even shutting off after about 10-20 minutes under full load. Runs perfectly before then.

I have already checked/replaced the fuel filter and bled the lines (it needed changing badly). Also earlier found an obstruction in the air intake-part of a bird nest--got that all clean and cleaned the air filter sediment bowl and added new oil (oil bath type).

After talking with the dealer today, i blew out the bypass line from the injector pump to the tank-but it didnt seem obstructed. Also, because it seemed to be running a little hot ( but not in the red at all), i replaced the thermostat and flushed the cooling system.

After all that, took it back out and ran perfectly under load till about 10 minutes into it and then started sputtering, losing power, and eventually shut down. No signs of overheating or any other visible red flags.

I am at a loss--anybody have any suggestions?

I have 2 things in mind. 1. Something in the fuel tank that keeps working its way over the outlet fuel line, 2. The injection pump is being plugged (internally) by some foreign material. My Son just had the exact same problem and it was the #2 problem. Ken Sweet

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2020 losing power
thanks-i will check that out!

thanks-i will check that out---

Ken, So, if your son had that happen (the injection pump being plugged), what was required to fix it?

/ John Deere 2020 losing power #8  
Maury
I'm not Ken but I'll bet his son's inj pump problem was a stopped up check valve in return line just as I referred to in my earlier post.

Jim, You are right in line with what the dealer i bought it from suggested. His focus was the bypass line going back into the tank (just over the phone). I did blow it out with compressed air, but you are right-i did not check the fitting itself. I wont be back in the field to check it till later tomorrow. The check valve in the fitting you are referring to--is it located at the injector pump itself or on the fuel tank end of the line?

/ John Deere 2020 losing power #10  
Ken, So, if your son had that happen (the injection pump being plugged), what was required to fix it?

He sent his pump to Fair Vally Performance on Saulk City, WI and they fixed it. ($600) Their phone # is 608-643-0200. Ken Sweet