When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!?

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
I put my truck in Park... it doesn't move - it's solidly stopped! Same with the car; the van, etc.

When I put my 5075M in Park - it will move... actually it will roll or begin rolling - if I don't step on the brake!

What's with that?? :eek:

It has a 16x16 PowrReverser transmission. I really am liking the new transmission and have started getting the hang of never using the clutch.

But, I'm beginning to wonder if I don't have a problem with the Park (or no Park), though. Guess I'm gonna have to get with JD and figure out if it's just an adjustment or something more serious.

AKfish

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #2  
watch out, you don't want to break the pawl. Hope you haven't already.

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!?
That issue crossed my mind... However, it was like that from the moment I picked it up from the shippers - although, I didn't think alot about at the time.

I've only got 30 hours on the machine right now and nothing harder than running a tedder!

Does the tractor have to be split to repair the Park pawl?

Thanks.

AKfish

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #4  
AK, I know nothing about how that system works on your tractor and can't look in JDParts now...But I have to wonder if it was damaged during the long trek up there to you. If it was not secured well and was rocking back and forth while in Park?

Just a thought...If that could be proven you might have a claim against the shipper.

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #5  
Kenny has a good point. It's always been my habit in trucks and cars to set the emergency (parking) brake before putting the transmission into Park. All the time I see people parking on a hill and simply putting the transmission into Park. Then when they let off the foot brake the car rolls and slams into that parking pawl. A heavy tractor like yours probably endured a lot of unknown movement during shipping, and could have sustained damage then.

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #6  
Hopefully it's only an adjustment. On my tractor the park pawl engages the gearing for the MFWD.

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #7  
:tractor:
Kenny has a good point.
1* It's always been my habit in trucks and cars to set the emergency (parking) brake before putting the transmission into Park.
2* All the time I see people parking on a hill and simply putting the transmission into Park.
3*Then when they let off the foot brake the car rolls and slams into that parking pawl. .
1*I always use my foot on the brake pedal so the brakes are on .
NEXT I put it in park and pull the E brake then take my foot off the brake pedal.
2*That is a very bad idea.
Really puts a lot of strain or pressure on the pin.
3*That's where you can break something when you go to yank it out of park.

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #9  
1*I put my truck in Park... it doesn't move - it's solidly stopped! Same with the car; the van, etc.

When I put my 5075M in Park - it will move... actually it will roll or begin rolling - if I don't step on the brake!
** What's with that?? :eek:
AKfish
*I don't understand why they don't make tractors the same way.
**I don't like that about my BX Kubota either. :mad:

/ When "P" doesn't really mean Park?!? #10  
:tractor:
1*I always use my foot on the brake pedal so the brakes are on .
NEXT I put it in park and pull the E brake then take my foot off the brake pedal.
[/B][/COLOR]

That actually is the way I do it. I just didn't state it correctly the first time. The real point is to make sure the park brake is set before releasing the foot brake.