John Deere 820

/ John Deere 820 #1  

MH50

Tractor
John Deere 820 Massey Harris 50 and others
I have a 1968 John Deere 820 which has a 3 cylinder diesel w/ a loader. I have two problems with it.

First is my 3 point has no lift, any ideas? I think it is strange it doesnt work, because the loader works fine.

Second is it struggles to start. Even now that it is 90 degrees out it wont start unless i give it a little ether.

Also, it seems this tractor is a little hard to find parts and my local deere dealer is not good. Any idea on where to get parts/manuel?

Thanks
Matt

/ John Deere 820
Here is a picture of it
P3220001.jpg

/ John Deere 820 #3  
Go to JDparts.com,click on parts and click on this parts catalog 4114 - 820 Utility Tractor (North American Version) - 16May11.

On the starting problem check inj pump timing,have injectors tested and possibly a compression test of the engine.

On 3pt problem have you tried changing the load & depth control lever under the seat on RH side?

/ John Deere 820
Is there any way I can check or test injector timing and injectors myself? Also I have tried the three point with the lever in all positions. It will have small amounts of lift if I rev it up and unscrew a bolt with a tab directly under the seat

/ John Deere 820
I also noticed today that it leaks diesel fuel when running, but not really sure where, maybe the injectors..???

/ John Deere 820 #6  
Is there any way I can check or test injector timing and injectors myself? Also I have tried the three point with the lever in all positions. It will have small amounts of lift if I rev it up and unscrew a bolt with a tab directly under the seat

Injectors require removal and using a tool called an inj tester which pumps diesel into the injector so one can see pop off pressure and spray pattern with no dripping of fuel out the tip.

On fuel inj pump I'd just loosen mounting nuts(making note of original location) and turn inj pump to advance timing a few degrees and check to see if engine runs/starts better.

/ John Deere 820 #7  
I have a 1972 jd 820 thanks for the post. I'm learning a few things reading your feed back.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110731_092525.png
    ForumRunner_20110731_092525.png
    766.6 KB · Views: 3,459
   / John Deere 820 #8  
On starting, I would start with the simple things, if you have not already done so, by replacing the fuel filter(s)? Fuel filter AR50041 $11.75. Sign-up on first URL for part cost and availability and double check JDparts to make sure I gave you the correct filter. Find the fuel leak as it could be in the fuel line and this is causing air to get into the fuel system. Drain some fuel out of the bottom of the tank as there could be water/sediment down there. Looking at JDparts does look like there is a drain at the bottom of the tank. Check the air filter(s). Have you been using any fuel conditioners? If not I would start using it.

How many hours on the tractor?

Your local dealer can order you manuals (hardcopy or CD), save you the shipping charge. I also see tractordata.com has some that are on e-bay.

https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.servlets.partinfocontroller.PartDetails
John Deere - Parts Catalog
TractorData.com John Deere 820 tractor information

/ John Deere 820 #9  
This the correct parts cat. 4114 - 820 Utility Tractor (North American Version) - 16May11
DUAL-STAGE FUEL FILTER
(ROTO DIESEL)
(ENGINE SERIAL NO. -173884) AT17387 FILTER ELEMENT 2
FUEL FILTER AND FUEL LINES
(ENGINE SERIAL NO. 173885- ) AR50041 FUEL FILTER