John Deere 855

/ John Deere 855 #1  

straw57

Tractor
John Deere 855
I have an 855 that I can not get fuel to come out of the top side of the pump going to the injectors. The automatic shut-off switch in working. The tractor has been parked for 10 yrs.. All compenents of fuel system have been flushed and or changed such as fuel filter. Any suggestions?

/ John Deere 855 #2  
I have an 855 that I can not get fuel to come out of the top side of the pump going to the injectors. The automatic shut-off switch in working. The tractor has been parked for 10 yrs.. All compenents of fuel system have been flushed and or changed such as fuel filter. Any suggestions?

From your description you are talking about the mechanical fuel pump that feed the injector pump? If this is right then I would make sure you have good flow from the tank to the filter. Take the line off and see if you have gravity flow. Remember if you open the fuel system you have to bleed the air out before it will allow fuel through. Most fuel filter housings have a bleed screw that you open to let the air out. Then you go to the first injector and crank the engine till you get all the air bubbles out the repeat on to the rest of the injectors.

You could have a restriction in the tank or you could have algae growing in the fuel plugging it all off.
Basically take it step by step the way the fuel flows if you have fuel flowing from the tank then go to the nest item say the filter swap and clean the filter the go to then check the flow out of the filter and so on.

/ John Deere 855
Thanks for the idea. I have reemoved the fuel tank blown out all fuel lines from the tank to the injectors.I have good fuel flow form the tank to the top entrance into the injection pump. But no fuel exiting the fuel pump to the injectors. I have run out of fuel many toimes through the past years and have had to bleed the air, but I am stumped on this one.

Ted

/ John Deere 855 #4  
Are you referring to an 855 CUT? I wonder if that type inj. pump has a metering valve and it could be stuck shut from non-use?

/ John Deere 855
The 855 was built with two different injection pump systems. Mine has the fuel pump built on the bottom which operates off the cam inside the component. I belief the injection part of the pump is gummed up from old diesel sitting inside of it for ten years. There is a side inspection plate on the pump,but. the srews are so tight I am afraid of stripping the heads with the srew driver.

Ted