JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #1  

JGwinn

Tractor
JD 2440
I have a '79 JD 2440. When I am bushogging and get into heavy material, the PTO stops turning. The engine does not pull down, just the PTO stops. When I raise the mower up to ease up on the load, the PTO starts turning again. Any thoughts on what might be the problem.

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #2  
PTO clutch is either mis- adjusted or worn out. Try adjusting the PTO clutch first. a lot cheaper than the alternative.

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning
I wondered if it would be something related to the PTO clutch. How do you go about adjusting it?

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #4  
JGwinn
Which type pto hyd ind or dual stage clutch? I doubt seriously if dual stage type if clutch pedal has free travel that any other adjusting will make pto clutch stop slipping

Well, I gotta plead ignorance here. I don't know what type of PTO it is. My guess would be hyd ind. The lever to engage the PTO is located between the gear shift levers (between legs) if that helps any.

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #6  
Well, I gotta plead ignorance here. I don't know what type of PTO it is. My guess would be hyd ind. The lever to engage the PTO is located between the gear shift levers (between legs) if that helps any.

Yup, that would be independent. As mentioned before it is a wet clutch and is hydraulically actuated. Probably an issue with hydraulic pressure to the clutch, although it is possible the clutch could be slipping due to excessive wear (although less likely.) What kind of hydraulic fluid do you run?

I am using the HIGH dollar trans fluid from JD.

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #8  
Remove sheet metal cover that the gearshift levers poke up through. Locate test port on pto control valve and test psi(165 psi). How long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen checked/cleaned??????

I will check into testing the pressure.

It has probably been 2 years since the fluid & filter were changed and the screen cleaned. I did this when I first noticed the PTO coming to a stop under a load. It hasn't been a priority to have it looked at as I normally just use this tractor for light duty stuff such as pulling a drag type hay rake, loading hay, etc. Normally the heavy mowing (or other things that are PTO operated) is done with one of our other tractors. This tractor isn't getting much of a work out this year in the hay department due to lack of rain so I am trying to get it back going to do some clean up around in smaller areas. Therefore, I need it to be able to pull our smaller bushog.

Thanks to all that have resonded for the help and things to look for.

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #10  
Did you ever figure out what the issue was with the PTO? My1840PTO was slipping and it was due to a mjor hydraulic leak inside where a bracket had worn through the line. PTO was not getting full pressure, ended up replacing the PTO clutch pack as well as the hydraulic line. New design to the hydraulic line to eliminate the bushing so it won't happen again.