john deere 3020 info needed

/ john deere 3020 info needed #1  

JaredWardall

Tractor
John Deere 3020
im looking at buying a 1965 john deere 3020. it has 2800 original hours. im looking for any info on this model and if this is a good buy. its priced for $5000

here is a link of some pictures

ImageShack Album - 12 images

any info is greatly appreciated!

thanks jared

/ john deere 3020 info needed #2  
Jared, I'd venture very slowly on this "deal"... As the saying goes - if something seems to be too good to be true - it probably is!!

Tractor looks to be restored - garaged with other "restored" JD's. I smell a scam!

Price is way too low...

AKfish

/ john deere 3020 info needed #3  
Jared,

The price does seem low. You will have to determine if it's legit, etc. and definitely take it for a test drive. If you can run it for 1/2 hour or more it would help with finding leaks, etc. Also check clutch/tranny and hydraulics as much as possible. If it needs transmission work it can be pricey.

As for the model in general, they have a good history and lots of people love 'em. We've had a 3010 for over 30 years and it's still getting the job done. Not worked as hard in the last 10 yrs or so, but still doing well.

Good luck.

Greg

/ john deere 3020 info needed #4  
im looking at buying a 1965 john deere 3020. it has 2800 original hours. im looking for any info on this model and if this is a good buy. its priced for $5000 any info is greatly appreciated! thanks jared

Jared
I doubt that a 46 year old tractor only has that low of hours on it. The speed/hr meters(tachometer) have been known to fail and be replaced plus I've seen the drive cable break and remain that way for several yrs. This is coming from a person(me) that worked at a JD dealership for over 20 years back when 3020's were new. Pus the photo's of the 3020 appear it had several $$$$$$ spent on a paint job.

/ john deere 3020 info needed
ok thanks, the more i get into it the seller wont talk over the phone and come to find out he lives in kentucky. i agree. i think its a scam also

thanks for the help!

are some years of the 3020 better than others?

/ john deere 3020 info needed #6  
are some years of the 3020 better than others?

Not really although '71 & '72 3020's are more collectable so they demand more $$$$. A lot of people including myself like the side console tractors more than the earlier models plus the side console tractors came from the factory as 12V not 24V.

/ john deere 3020 info needed
Not really although '71 & '72 3020's are more collectable so they demand more $$$$. A lot of people including myself like the side console tractors more than the earlier models plus the side console tractors came from the factory as 12V not 24V.

ok, side console vs. no side console whats the difference? when did john deere start making the side console?

also what is the difference between the hydrostatic steering and the power assist steering?
thanks

/ john deere 3020 info needed #8  
Side console built '69-'72. Main advantages were 12V electrical system instead of 24V and 3pt/scv controls beside seat instead of LH side of steering wheel. Also SCV(rear hyd outlets) had no hyd lines running under floorboard to spring hyd oil leaks.

Power assist steering has mechanical linkages(drag link) coupled with hyd pressure.
Hydrostatic steering oil has oil only to control frt wheels(no mechanical linkage between steering wheel & frt axle)

/ john deere 3020 info needed #9  
Yeah I would give the real owner $5000 for that in cash.:D

/ john deere 3020 info needed #10  
Yeah I would give the real owner $5000 for that in cash.:D

No kidding...! I'd have the trailer saddled up and the truck thumpin'!! :laughing:

AKfish