5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter?

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #1  

pclausen

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5085M, Ford 1700, JD GT235
I'm finalizing the options on my 5085M order I'm working with my dealer on and looking at getting a 8-10' cutter as part of the package.

He told me he just sold a 5095M with the HX10 cutter, and that tractor can barely lift the ~2300 lbs HS cutter. Moreover, the front is real light, even with the 563 loader and bucket attached.

The 5085M is pretty much the same weight as the 5095M, but based on that customer's experience, I'll be opting for the 63mm hitch cylinders, which are good for 5935 lbs @ 24". I'd like to think that would lift any 10' cutter.

Should I be concerned with the 5M frame being to "light" for a 10' lift type cutter?

I'm looking at the HX10 (2326 lbs), Bush Hog 3209/3210 (2594/2741 lbs), Woods MDS120/DS1260 (2100/2653).

Dealer got a used 3209 on the lot for a good price, but he warned me that a 5M might not be enough tractor to handle it.

What do you guys think. I am getting the front weight support, so if the H260 loader without bucket won't be enough counterweight, I can always get weights as a last resort, but I was hoping that would not be necessary.

Anyone here running a 10' cutter on a 5M tractor?

Thanks!

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #2  
If the 3209 has a hydraulic cylinder and dual caster wheels on a common rockshaft, you can run it as a semi-mount cutter using just the lower 3pt links. Not uncommon in situations where enough horsepower is available, but lift capacity and/or front ballast is marginal. I'm not familiar enough with your tractor model to be more specific, so I won't guess.

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #3  
   / 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter?
Whichever cutter I get, it would have hydraulic rear wheels.

The current 5095M model has a standard lift capacity of 3595 lbs @ 24". The problem is even through these 10' cutters "only" weigh 2100-2700 lbs, a LOT of that weight is much further back than 2 feet. The customer with the 3pt HX10 had to rev his 5095M above 2000 rpm before his hitch would pick the cutter off the ground.

I feel confident that the almost 6000 lbs of lift with the heavy duty cylinders on the MY2012 5M machines will lift the cutter with ease, my concern is more one of stability without a full complement of weights up front.

95% of my cutting will be done with the rear wheels on the ground, that that will be fine. The concern is when I'm cutting in hilly areas where I need to back up over stuff and lower the deck down on the brush, especially when going backwards. This technique has worked great for me over the last 10 years with my 4700 and 6' Woods MD172 cutter, with either my loader on the front or my weights.

A pull type cutter won't work for me in some of the right spots I need to deal with, semi-mount would work some of the time, but to truly have full maneuverability, I need a lift type mover.

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #5  
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10' lift type cutter on anything less than a 6000 series. Until you've actually seen and used one in a lift type configuration it is hard to realize how big they are. We have an old JD 1008 pull-type 10' cutter and it was also available in lift type or semi-mounted. Since we had a 65 pto hp tractor (2550) we went with the pull type. Base weight of that 2550 is about the same as a 5085M and it isn't near enough tractor for a lift type 10' cutter. Some of the neighbors that had a 1008 lift type used it on either a JD 2950 or 3150, which are in the 10,000-11,000lb range unballasted.

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #6  
I will say if your thinking of using that mower on anything even remotely hilly you better have a full set of front weights to even have a chance. Me personally, I would just jump up one frame size to one of the 6 series that meet your needs. You will gain almost 1k pounds just in the tractor alone but I would still want the front weights. Thats a lot of mower hanging behind you and on hills you can become unstable real quick. I just feel the 5M series as a whole is too light to carry that size mower.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Going up a frame size is not going to work due to the other duties I will be performing, like finish moving about 20 acres on a weekly basis, clearing brush in the woods, and general material handling/loading. The 5085M will be replacing a 4700, and it is already a significant jump in size.

Perhaps I should instead focus on 8' medium duty cutters instead, such as the Woods MDS96 which only weighs 1620 lbs? Perhaps that is a better match to the 5085M?

Thanks

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #8  
An 8 footer would be a much better match. Not only is it lighter but also shorter lengthwise, so that helps out a lot for balance.

/ 5085M not enough tractor for a lift type heavy duty 10' dual spindle cutter? #9  
I would only go semi mounted for a 10 footer. If you must go 3pt then get a 7 or 8 footer.

I agree. I'm looking at the Bush Hog 3008 and Woods DS96 now. Maybe the MX8, but it doesn't seem as well built as the other two. My Woods MD172 6' cutter has served me well over the last 10 years. Had to replace the seal once, but that's it.

Another advantage is I can trailer the 8' cutters and stay legal.