JD 5105M glow plugs?

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #1  

jacuba

Tractor
2011 JD 5105M w/deluxe cab, 32spd auto reverser
My new JD 5105M operators manual states that turning the ignition key to the on position activates the glow plugs for 30 seconds and will show a countdown timer on the deluxe dash or a blinking engine light on the regular dash. My deluxe dash does not show anything even though the temps were in the teens. Can someone with a 5105M tell me what theirs does. I don't even know if the glow plugs are working. Dealer is checking for me as they are more familiar with the bigger AG tractors, but have not found out yet.

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #2  
My new JD 5105M operators manual states that turning the ignition key to the on position activates the glow plugs for 30 seconds and will show a countdown timer on the deluxe dash or a blinking engine light on the regular dash. My deluxe dash does not show anything even though the temps were in the teens. Can someone with a 5105M tell me what theirs does. I don't even know if the glow plugs are working. Dealer is checking for me as they are more familiar with the bigger AG tractors, but have not found out yet.

I have the deluxe dash in my 5075M. On the upper right hand side of the dash - you should see a blinking - flashing orange colored engine symbol. It will turn off automatically; at which time you should engage the starter.

AKfish

PS - Are you pushing the key in and holding it? Have to do that with the 85M - 95M - 105M.

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #3  
I just checked my 5105M manual. The glow plugs and timer only apply to the 5065 and 5075.

The 5105 "can be equiped with an optional air intake heater system". As "jacuba" has said you have to turn the key on and push in and hold from 15 to 30 seconds to warm the intake air. I have looked for a light or something that tells me that my "intake heater" is working but I have not found any light or read out showing such.
I have a block heater so I just plug mine in for an hour before starting. I really don't think it is necessary but I just want to reduce stress on the engine on those cold days.

Let me know if the dealer comes up with an indicator light showing the intake heater is working.

/ JD 5105M glow plugs?
:thumbsup:Thanks guys, I re-read my manual and discovered my error. Only the 5065M and 5075M have the glow plugs. I also have the cold weather pkg and am supposed to push the key in for 15 sec when temps are above 32 or 30 sec when temps are below 32.... Sounds like it is only activated as long as the key is pushed in. Sounds like there is no indication that the heater is working. For the 65M & 75M it states "DO NOT" push the key in and hold to activate........

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #5  
so on a 5105m what is the cold weather starting procedure.

im up in canada and just got this tractor.

its been -40 last week or so and even with it being in a bulding and plugged in its rough starting

any ideas

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #6  

its been -40 last week or so and even with it being in a bulding and plugged in its rough starting

any ideas

Your fuel could be a bit cold, well really cold. You should have some type of fuel additives. Anything like Howe's Lubricator, Power Service products White bottle for winter, grey for summer and red if your gelled up. I use Howe's lubricator. It works good for my trucks and tractors. Your fuel may be dirty so you can get a new fuel filter. Either or its dirty fuel or gelled fuel.

If its not fuel, it could be that its too cold, I hope that tractor has a cold weather pkg.

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #7  

any ideas

Run the intake pre-heater for 30 seconds before you start and keep running it after you start until it runs smooth. Block heater is a must and will make a big difference when starting.

/ JD 5105M glow plugs? #8  
figured out the preheater(pushed the key in ) and it worked really good.